Friday, April 12, 2024

GOT STUCK

 I was rolling right along with the 30 Faces/30 Days Lessons from Sktchy and then…I got stuck.  I did not follow the teacher’s instructor well and just went and did my own thing and thought, okay, that’s okay…but I wanted to try it her way so did it again and…well some days are diamonds and some days are stones.

So I started with the first version…not bad but nothing like the one the instructor did (which I will show at the end to show you just how different it is).

Then kept working on it and working on it and walking away and coming back and thinking, just a bit more and…well…the last one is finished and I’m calling her Mother Nature Ponders the Future because, well, why not?













And this last one is the way the teacher (Lorraine Simonds) did it, which I was supposed to be following, but could not, for the life of me, do it that way.


  

And Lorraine Simonds is one of my favorite Sktchy artists.  I like her style and her brushwork and she leaves enough to the imagination and I don’t.

So…I started another and knew, from the get-go, that it was also not going to be like Lorraine’s.  Why can’t I do this even remotely like this?  

2 comments:

laura said...

You are really a good student! Brava!
I have been having frustration not being able to paint like teachers whose work I like ... And my first reaction to your frustration is to say, paint like you; your paintings are great: lovely and sensitive.
Now maybe I'll try to take my own advice! So thank you!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Laura! I do get a bit frustrated when I can’t copy the teacher’s style but I guess I’m set in my own ways and style now and that’s fine!