Friday, April 5, 2024

30 FACES/30 DAYS WITH THE SKTCHY GROUP

 Started the latest 30 Days/30 Portraits challenge on Sktchy.com and here is a few I did.  This is just 2 days.  I did the first one totally wrong - supposed to do a fine line around the drawing and then paint but my line was too thick and sepia and just didn’t work…so I did a lot of scrubbing back and reworking so it looked nothing like the teacher’s work.  The second one, I learned from my impulsive mistakes and mine is more like the teacher - but, as always, two people never paint exactly the same (especially since I don’t care what colors the teacher uses, I use my own versions).  The instructor for this painting is Liz Chaderton, and I liked her teaching style (no stress).  












The second day, the instructor was Charlotte Hamilton, and other than the fact that she kept pronouncing the pigment ochre as Okra, I was okay with her teaching.  (Do Brits pronounce ochre as okra?).  Each teacher picks their own “muse” from the Museum app associated with Sketchy (free photos to use for portrait work), and Charlotte chose an older gent I think I did in the previous 30 Days/30  Portraits.  



6 comments:

laura said...

Again, terrific work, Rhonda. I especially like your older gent!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Laura.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Amazing work! I love the first one. It really captures a moment and has such life. I like the scratchy brushwork that you used in her top.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Lisa. I did the first one more like my style with more lifting than I wanted (but the Hahnemuehle paper took it) and then the second was more like the lesson - sometimes I do go off the rails.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Off the rails suits you ;o)

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Lisa!