Monday, March 25, 2024

FROM WATERCOLOR TO GOUACHE

 After watching another video on gouache portraits, did this one.  


The model came from a photo on the Museum App that the Sktchy folks use all the time.  Interesting face.  Then added the bird alongside with the back becoming his shoulder.  (The teacher put a crane going through his head and in the upper right but I did not like that at all).  The bird is from a photo from Sweetie.  

So - first step is the watercolor underpainting.


Then the gouache over the underpainting (did not add to the great white heron except to bring back the highlights with white gouache).  I liked the man but didn’t think the heron popped enough so added a background.  




3 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda what an amazing painting. Gouache certainly works out well for you. I have played around with it a bit but need to practice a lot more in using this medium. It seems to be quite a bit different than watercolor but like the idea of using white to spatter and hi-lite when I lose the white of my paper. Take care friend and have a lovely week. Hugs! P.S. thank you for leaving your name so I know when you visit. On my phone I appear anonymous and cannot leave a comment on e blogger for some reason.

laura said...

oh wow, this is really cool, Rhonda. I love how painterly the painting is but also the intensity and mystery! You are always trying new things!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Debbie and Laura. I am starting to just get the hang out gouache but am no means good at it, yet - some successes and some failures but I will keep playing with it. This one was from another Sktchy online video but, again, looks nothing like her painting (for some reason she had a crane or something coming out of the man’s face - which I did not like, especially since the leg was red!). I liked using one of Sweetie’s bird photos with the model (there are lots of models you can use on the Museum app - all free to use and paint or draw.