Monday, March 11, 2024

FROM SKETCH TO PAINTING

 Another painting done from inspiration in my sketchbook.  Years ago, I took an open life drawing class (not structured lessons but a teacher there to help you and answer questions about your drawing as you went along…where I learned to sight measure for a figure drawing).  So I have several large sketchbooks of things done in the class.  Taking those out, I picked out a few to inspire me to do future paintings…here is the 2nd one.



The sketches and then one of the sketches changed to eliminate the legs and flatten the face (I mean, mermaids wouldn’t have large noses because they don’t breathe like we do, right?)


 Then, the painting.  I liked the way the Lunar Blue (Daniel Smith) created the interesting texture in the tail and hair. 

2 comments:

laura said...

What a great way to repurpose life drawings. I have a sketchbook full from last time I tried it: the moderator would up posing for is most nights when the model failed to show!
I like the lunar blue too

RH Carpenter said...

I have several sketchbooks from those sessions with the live model. I am going back to some of my best ones and trying to make paintings from them…so much stuff you find in your sketchbooks (which I just pile up all around and don’t look at again!!