Wednesday, March 6, 2024

FROM SKETCH TO PAINTING

 Another sketch I did a while back…I have a large sketchbook full of drawings done in a Life Drawing Class and other odds and ends of sketches done while watching TV.  




So the sketch is there, I trace it and then begin painting but I had to real plan for this other than making large and small sections of color.  And when you don’t really plan, you often get things you don’t want…




And you sometimes get happy surprises…like the fact that the sections/blocks of color at the lower left made me think of a colorful dress she was wearing…







Not quite done but…where do I go from here?


Sorry but the paper is very buckled so can’t get a straight-on shot, especially when it’s still wet in areas.  (Is the bright red at the left side too distracting?  What colors should I make the white arch…or, should I paint white in another area and leave that arch there - the white of the paper?)

Did add white (acrylic) and I think it’s done…



3 comments:

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

It could be the palette or maybe the shapes - it reminds me of Hilma af Klint. It could be all the movement of the composition. Whichever it is a lovely one, lots for the eye to journey around. I liked seeing the direction from drawing to painting. Happy painting.

RH Carpenter said...

What a compliment, Lisa! I do often just go with lines and no preset idea about colors - so made a mistake about the white and leaving some around beside that one arc…thank goodness for opaque paint :). I may do another of these from my figure sketching.

laura said...

I like seeing the process too. And I love the jewel tone colors!