Wednesday, March 20, 2024

A FEW GOUACHE ATTEMPTS

 Just a few more done while watching online lessons.


This handsome doggie started with a watercolor underpainting and I liked it more - went too dark on this and too warm.  I might try it again more blue and grey and softer colors.  










The watercolor underpainting - should have left it here but still learning about gouache and how it works.  






I like this, but it’s just a section of the face so…hope I have learned more about facial structure and shapes from all the watercolor portraits I did back when.  This was done in a freebie quick lesson from Artefacto online.  

One thing in gouache’s favor = you can go over and reshape and darken parts without it looking overworked because that’s what you do with gouache.  I haven’t learned to go in with thick paint yet and probably wouldn’t like that technique, anyway.  



2 comments:

laura said...

He is a handsome doggo. Well done.
I really love the face study! I think you've got the structure down! And I of course love the blue/orange palette!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Laura. I just followed the teacher’s way of painting with cools and warms for the eye but it turned out pretty good. The doggie, I still think I’ll redo him with cooler colors.