Friday, June 23, 2017

A FEW THINGS



Finished this one.  I "cheated" by using some gouache in the center to pop the stamen and the bee.  I don't really consider it cheating - at this point in my painting, I want to use whatever works best.

Honey Bee Magnolia

15 x 18.5 inches
on Arches 140# coldpress paper





And I returned to this to work it a bit more.  Not happy with the pop of the petals on this so tried to make it more so.  Still not 100% happy but...whatever.



Virginia Bluebells

15 x 22 inches
on Arches 140# coldpress paper









10 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

looks good :) not really cheating since gouache is just technically thicker watercolour :p

maybe try the gouache on the bluebells?

hw (hallie) farber said...

The magnolia is beautiful, Rhonda.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Your magnolia is beautiful, Rhonda.

Sadami said...

Wow, Rhonda, Honey Bee Magnolia is so sexy. Cheers, Sadami

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Jennifer Rose. I know most artists would agree about the gouache = still watermedia/watercolor, but I rarely use it - it just seemed to need that help this time. So it won't ever get into the Transparent Watercolor Society show (but I've never entered one so that's not a probability! ha ha).

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sadami :). I like that description!!

Hallie, sending you big (((HUGS))) right now after reading your latest post and knowing you've been AWOL for a while. I hope you are healing, feeling okay and getting better each day. Thank you so much for taking the time and making the effort to post on my blog and WELCOME BACK!!!

E.M. Corsa said...

Of course it's not cheating. If you need to use cement to make it right so be it. We are artists and use whatever is necessary to complete our vision. I use mixed media all the time with my watercolors and find nothing wrong with that. It's beautiful.

RH Carpenter said...

You're right, not cheating, Elizabeth :) I'm not sure watercolor and cement work well together but... ha ha!!

Studio at the Farm said...

You perfectionist, you! :) They both have come out very well, Rhonda!!!

RH Carpenter said...

LOL, Kathryn, no one would ever call me a perfectionist! ha ha But thanks :)