This painting was moving along, but there was something niggling me and annoying me about it and I just kept trying to get it where I wanted it - in essence, forcing it. And everyone knows you cannot force watercolor!
So...although it looks okay here on the screen, it does not look good in "real life" so...time for a do-over.
And the first thing I did was draw it out on a piece of tracing paper - large tracing paper (Canson 19 x 24 inches tracing paper).
Then I traced that onto a full sheet (22 x 30 inches with a little extra off the side and bottom) of Arches 140# cold press.
I began with the background in Perylene Green with a touch of Quinacridone Burnt Scarlet in areas (and Hansa Yellow Light closest to the leaves to get a nice glow around them).
Now...plums and clementine colors in the foliage without being heavy-handed (fingers crossed), and I might just have a nice painting. But if I don't, I'm not adverse to trying it again...since I'm trying to enjoy the process and not rush to the outcome as much this year.
And have a lovely, loving Valentine's Day, whether you have another with you or you are solo - do something loving and kind and good for yourself or your significant other - let's make every day Valentine's Day (without the chocolates - we all don't want to be gaining 5-10 pounds this year! ha ha).