Monday, November 11, 2013

TEXTURE FOR CLASS


On Tuesday, I'm going to pass out some Tyvek paper and let the students try it just to see what interesting texture it creates for you by just painting on it.  I wasn't sure what to have them try but I saw an old lighthouse painting with rocks that I did in a class many years ago (this is on gessoed paper but the rocks got me thinking).  I looked up some lighthouse photos from WetCanvas and found one I liked.  I printed it out and enlarged it (so it's a good size for tracing) for everyone to use.



When tracing onto Tyvek, I don't want harsh graphite lines showing so I took a watercolor pencil, colored the back of the photograph and then traced the photograph, which left faint blue watercolor pencil lines on the Tyvek paper - which usually can be washed away when you start painting.  Then I painted the sky, the water, the lighthouse and the rocks.  I put in that shape behind the lighthouse and was going to leave it white but painted it with cerulean blue - just to add more variety.  The crease in the painting is due to my keeping the Tyvek shoved behind my watercolor paper in a Cheap Joe's container and some of the sheets got a little bent.  Not sure it will come out but it's just a class demo so no big deal.  I could still go in and really go to town on the rocks - more like the top painting - but I kind of like the softer look of the bottom rocks.  Anyway, I'm ready for the class.

Today is Veterans Day.  
For all those who serve or have served, thank you.

5 comments:

Vandy said...

I love the texture in these rocks, Rhonda. I can see why you want to use this in your class. I've not ever tried Tyvek paper but it sounds interesting. The effect in the foreground looks similar to what you get with clingfilm on wet paper.

RH Carpenter said...

I'm hoping we get to have class - we're expecting our first snow of the season tonight/tomorrow morning. We'll see who decides to drive over in it.

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I've never painted on Tyvek, sounds interesting. I love your idea of using a watercolor pencil on the back of an image if you want to trace it. Thanks!

Autumn Leaves said...

This will be fun!!! Gorgeous reference too.

RH Carpenter said...

The students liked trying out the Tyvek and seeing what it will do. I don't think we'll use it again, but go back to more traditional watercolor paper for a while :) I do love texture, especially when the surface does a lot of the work for you. The Tyvek does hold on to the color, though, so is hard to lift color off of it - unlike when you paint on gessoed paper.