Sunday, November 17, 2013

PAINTINGS ON TYVEK

When I posted on my blog yesterday, I said there was not much painting going on.  That made me ask, "Why not?"  It's up to me whether or not there is painting being done!  So I pulled out some things I'd begun on Tyvek paper and finished them.  Red Haired Molly was done after I watched most of a new DVD I just got around to watching:  Watercolor Portraits of the South with Mary Whyte (more about that later).


So - here is the finished lighthouse which was begun for the class to show them how watercolor looks on Tyvek paper.  I pushed up the reds with a red china marker and lightened the yellow sunstreak behind the lighthouse with a white china marker.  I also darkened the sky and some of the rocky areas.  Once the china marker is down on the paper, there is no changing it except to make the shape bigger.




And here is Red Haired Molly on Tyvek.

I may even finish the painting begun in the Fran Mangino workshop of dark haired Molly on regular watercolor paper.  


Now...about that Mary Whyte DVD... (see next post!)


6 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I really like the look of the paints on Tyvek. I love how you experiment, Rhonda. The lighthouse is especially wonderful!!

RH Carpenter said...

It's a fun surface to paint on but not one I'd use a lot - I'll be sticking with my watercolor paper for watercolors. I guess I've tried all the surfaces and prefer straight watercolor on paper :) But I want my students to experience all the surfaces and choose for themselves.

Nancy Goldman said...

I really like your paintings on Tyvek. I've thought about trying it in the past but forgot about it. Seeing your paintings have renewed my interest. Any hints you can give would be appreciated. : )

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

interesting textures with Tyvek, huh? I like Molly a lot. And the lighthouse is lovely too.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Nancy. If I remember correctly, Myrna Wacknov had us tear the Tyvek apart (it's not easy to do but you can peel it apart) and paint on one piece. In a watercolor class I was in years ago, we had the construction type which was really slick so we put acrylic gel medium down on it before painting on it - which helped. With this stuff I have, I just painted on it as is, no prepping or peeling apart - the paint does seep into the seams/threads but that's what makes that textured look.

Thanks, Carol :)

Shelley Whiting's art said...

I love all the skin tones, shadow and textures on the face. A very subtle but sophisticated piece.