Friday, January 25, 2013

WHAT I GOT

Well, Roger Federer must not have gotten the message that what I wanted for my birthday was for him to win the Australian Open.  He lost in 5 sets to Andy Murray in the semi-finals :(  Boo hoo.  Next year, I'm going to have to send him an email ahead of time so he knows what I want for my birthday! ha ha

What I got for my birthday from Sweetie =
A new coffee maker which does not gurgle and glug and make a horrid sound when brewing.  It's still a Mr. Coffee brand, but a newer model and a different design.  I like it!
Plus
I got an old-fashioned, made in the USA, metal and glass gumball machine with a load of gumballs I put inside the globe.  :)   Yes, I guess, I am still a kid at heart and I won't tell you how old I will be tomorrow because, believe me, I feel older than dirt some days - no energy and no inspiration.  For those of you who are older than me, I get no sympathy (I know this).  For those of you who are younger than me, I'll try not to be jealous of your beauty and youth! ha ha
Plus
A new Louise Erdrich book I've been wanting to read.

Of course, my birthday is not until tomorrow but I'm still being taken out to dinner by my baby sister tonight.  I think Chinese is on the menu :)  I was invited out to lunch with my step-daughter, J., but the weather put the kibosh on that - freezing drizzle and snow caused this late morning/early afternoon to be a bit tricky to be out on the roads just for a lunch, so we postponed until...whenever. 
And my mother is making carrot cake cupcakes for me, instead of the huge carrot cake she usually makes so I can eat one, freeze a few, and save a few to eat later without thinking I need to eat it all.  My mother makes the very best carrot cake and fudge (peanut butter and chocolate).  It was her fudge and cookies that sent my gallbladder into overdrive after Christmas so I'll take it easy with the cake this time!

What is your favorite cake or dessert for birthdays?  I really love pie - pies of any kind (except strawberry - yuck!!!).  But homemade carrot cake is pretty darned good.

Are you having a birthday this month?  Next month? 
How do you feel about another year passing?  Are you reaching your goals (do you have goals, or are you like me and just flow with whatever comes along)?  Do you feel your age or do you feel younger inside? 
I hope you always feel young even if the mirror tells a different story!



14 comments:

Sadami said...

Happy Birthday, Rhonda! Have a wonderful day!!!
...for me, everyday is my birthday.
Cheers, Sadami

Lorraine Brown said...

Thanks Rhonda for opening with the tennis news, it is early morning here in Australia and I went to sleep last night when the match was only half way through. In my thirst for painting news I read my blogger dashboard for new posts before finding out what the real world is up to so you have provided me with the piece of news I would seek out next so now I can carry on with lovely painting stories instead

Vicki Holdwick said...

Happy birthday! Mine is next Wednesday and I am leaving that morning to spend a month in a beachfront condo on Pensacola Beach.

I will be turning 61 and once I get this CRPS under I will once again feel much younger than I look.

An artist friend took me out for lunch yesterday to celebrate.

Hope you have a great day and a great year - love your blog and your art,

xoxo

Vandy said...

Happy Birthday, Rhonda. We've just had a wonderful birthday supper for my older son who turned 28 today.

Vicki Greene said...

Happy, happy Birthday! I hope your energy and inspiration returns in abundance. Sounds like some pretty neat gifts and the carrot cake (cupcake size) sounds yummy!

Michelle Himes said...

Happy Birthday, Rhonda. I'm pretty sure that I'm older than you. I will be 68 in March, and yes, I feel my age. Some days all my joints hurt. That said, I'm just a kid at heart too, and I belong to a senior tap dance class and play senior basketball at the Y. Crazy, huh? I hope you have a great birthday dinner and enjoy your carrot cupcakes. (My favorite b'day cake is my mom's chocolate chip cake, but unfortunately the only way to get some on my birthday is to make it myself.)

Ann Buckner said...

Came on early especially to wish you a Happy, Happy Birthday Rhonda. Hope you and Jerry have loads of fun celebrating!

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh to always feel young! I lost that ability about the time I turned 44. Eons ago. Happy birthday Rhonda! Your birthday sounds wonderful!!!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Sadami. You definitely have the right attitude about it all - I need some of that uplifting spirit at times! ha ha
Lorraine, I hope I didn't ruin it for you (we have to watch it taped and know the match has already been played and won by someone so we try to just watch the tape and see who wins without knowing ahead of time - but I peeked when it was in the 4th set and Roger was trying to make a comeback run). Oh, well, someone loses and someone wins - that's how it works.

Thanks, Vicki - sounds like a great way to spend your birthday and Happy Birthday to you on the 30th!

Thanks, Vandy (Happy Birthday to your son - the 26th is also the birthday of Paul Newman, that handsome devil, who is no longer with us).

Thanks, Vicki, Michelle, Ann and Sherry, for the birthday wishes. Today is the day and I got more things last night from my Sis and a surprise today from Sweetie $$$

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Happy Birthday! Carrot cake... you lucky, lucky girlie nomnomomomnom...

Wishing you a wonderful day x

Carol Blackburn said...

Happy Birthday Rhonda! My oh my, it's so good to hear that someone else's coffee pot makes those sounds. I thought mine was possessed one day. Then on another day it sounded like "it was having too much fun" if you know what I mean. I never can figure out what it will sound like next. Gee, maybe I need a new one although with hubby working now it, well it sort of keeps me company. Hmmmm, I am drinking more coffee than I used to! :)

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Lisa and Carol. The carrot cake cupcakes were delicious! YUM - and I got 8 to bring home and must must must only eat one a day or one every other day. Willpower will be mine someday - maybe I should have asked for that for my birthday?
Carol, I think you mean like the sounds...well, we have caller ID and it announces the number or name - sometimes someone funny calls and punches in the numbers 000 000 0000 - sounds like the caller ID is definitely having fun! ha ha I've always had the Mr. Coffee brand and they all do that gurgling brewing sound very loud after a year or so - even with repeated cleanings.

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Rhonda,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sorry this is late and I doubt you'd consider moving to Hawaii a worthy excuse, but it's all I've got.
Hope it was wonderful and from looking at your posts, I'd say it was. It's appropriate that someone as kind and giving as you receives so many good wishes and gifts.
Congratulations!
Gary.

RH Carpenter said...

Oh, Gary, don't rub it in - moving to Hawaii, you poor thing! ha ha Sunshine, rain, green landscapes, gorgeous flowers, turquoise blue water - and you to capture it all for us in paintings!! Thanks for the birthday wishes :)