Saturday, January 5, 2013

TRYING MARILYN'S TECHNIQUES

If you've been reading, you know that our watercolor society had Marilyn Bishop come and give a program for us on the 2nd of January.  She is making beautiful and artful bookmarks out of scraps of matboard and "failed" watercolor paintings - with the addition of ink and rice paper and gold leaf and...whatever you can imagine.  I wanted to try this technique with some of the scraps I have lying around but didn't want to make bookmarks since that is definitely Marilyn's domain.

So I did postcards. 
(I would share them with you but Blogger is having a breakdown and won't allow me to upload any of the photos right now.  Apparently, this has been broken since Friday.  Hope they fix it soon as I don't want to install Chrome on Sweetie's desktop - which is old and I'm afraid every new thing I add will be the last thing!  They say it has to do with Internet Explorer.

Anyway, I made my pieces on 4" x 6" matboard, adding scraps of failed watercolor paintings and some markers and fluid acrylic paint and...whatever I thought looked okay. 

It does take time to lay things out, move them, reposition them, think about the composition, then glue them down (Marilyn used an Elmer's glue stick which I tried and I also tried Nori Paste - a bookbinding paste - for the heavier pieces).

The grandgirls are coming over this afternoon and I've got things laid out for them to try this.  I think it will be a fun art project for us to try together.  I'll share those photos when I can...

7 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

I look forward to seeing them, Rhonda. Enjoy the girls visit.

Sharon Whitley said...

sounds brilliant Rhonda - look forward to seeing the photos!

Diana said...

This sounds like fun and I'm always looking for ways to use the leftovers..thanks so much for sharing it with us. loved the post about Marilyn. love to you,Diana

Michelle Himes said...

I couldn't post anything today either, Rhonda. And my computer is old and has "issues" and frequently freezes. I don't want to install anything new on it either. The bookmarks and postcards sound like fun, and a good way to use up some "old dogs". I have a lot of those.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

This sounds like a great project, I can't wait to see. Hope you have fun 'playing' with the girls.

Autumn Leaves said...

Look forward to seeing what you and the kids do, Rhonda!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Carol, Sharon, Diana and Michelle. Blogger still acting up as of yesterday but they have a work-around for those of us who can't post photos. Hope they get it fixed this week!
Lisa, thanks, it is a fun thing to do and does make you think about composition and design, especially when you have a lot of scraps laid out on the table!
Sherry, thanks, hope you enjoyed seeing the grands' work.