Monday, November 15, 2010

WELL, THAT DIDN'T WORK, BUT HERE'S A DATURA OF ANOTHER KIND

As Bill the Cat used to say, "Akkkkk!!!"


Went too dark on the background.  Should have just wet the areas and dropped in yellows, blues and greens, and left it at that.  So that's what I learned from this one.  (The yellows look flat here but they aren't IRL so not sure why the photo looks so flat.)

And when I peeled the artists tape off the edges of this one, the paper peeled a bit, too - the Canson Montval is definitely just for playing.

Since it was already pretty ruined, I spritzed off the darks as much as I could, keeping the yellows clean by blotting up the darks.  Then pinned it up to my cork board and painted a bit more with the paper wet and the paint running a bit.






















And here is the start of a Datura of another kind...






Her name was Datura Sykes.
Like the flower,
a little bit of Datura would hypnotize...
a lot could prove deadly. 

Her daddy was Cherokee, right off
the reservation when he met her mama 
dancing in a club in New Orleans, calling
herself the Mississippi Delta Queen.  A lanky man
with cheekbones sharp enough to cut
paper, he killed himself in a car
wreck before he had a chance to drink
himself to death. 

Datura learned some of her dance moves from her mama.  The rest are all her own.

13 comments:

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

That happens sometimes Rhonda, I liek the effect you got after playing with the background, maybe something to implement on purpose the next time?

Meanwhile I'll just drool with the other one you've started, I want those gloves already! it's yummy Rhon, this one is going to be a winner :D

jgr said...

Well, I really like the texture you achieved on the second one. btw I have seen some other very cool results from washing the original painting off. It leaves a nice 'ghost' effect.

Vicki Greene said...

I love how very brave you are to experiment and give things a try. I don't know why I am afraid to ruin and painting that I already consider ruined - lol. I like the texture you achieved. Your Datura of Another Kind is already a winner!

Water Color Paintings said...

I just say that the painting is awesome. I like it.

Water Color Paintings said...

This is the greatest post I have come across so far.I am really pleased to post my comment on this blog .I love your blog by the way, I am gonna have to add you to my list of watched blogs .Thank you for this very nice paintings. stored it.Thanks again and keep up the good work.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Teresa, I'm not too displeased with the bg now - a bit mottled and some sharp edges. I knew you'd like Datura :)

Jane, thanks. I could create ghost paintings - just overwork them and then wash them all back to pale? That may be my niche! ha ha

Vicki, thanks. I think we often just don't want to look at one we messed up so it's in the bin and hidden or painted on the back instead. Glad you like Datura.

Water Color Paintings - can't find your name on the site you listed - but glad you like the posting.

debwardart said...

Can't wait to learn more about Datura Sykes - seems you are out of your blue mood!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Great post, Rhonda! You're exhibiting bravery and showing the hard side of art--what most of the rest of us keep hidden in dark places!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Deb. Guess that mood didn't last too long, eh?
Elizabeth, thanks. I wonder if it helps others learn to show the bad stuff and how you fixed it or didn't and why some artists only show their finished, ready-to-hang-on-the-wall pieces.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your before and after. It was so refreshing to see how you worked with what you had to change it. I really like the second one...looks like a cool abstract now. Great idea, you've inspired me to go pull out some of those paintings I don't like and play with them. Thanks!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Karsten, for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I enjoyed visiting your blog today for a little while - your colors are so bright and light and sunny!

Gary L. Everest said...

Evening Rhonda,
Just checking your blog before visiting the rack monster and found this. I love it! The composition and colors are terrific.
Sincerely,
Gary.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Gary!