Thursday, November 18, 2010

PORTRAIT: RED





Only a true red-head should wear that shade of green.




Wednesday morning, we got out of the house early and drove 4 hours down to Cedarhurst Center for the Arts in Mt. Vernon, IL to see Carol Carter's large watercolors of swimmers.  She has 4 in the show (all paintings and works are from St. Louis artists and there is some outstanding stuff there).  I admit, I am prejudiced towards Carol's watercolors and stood and looked at them for quite a while, getting a wonderful view of the way she handles those watercolors, blending, allowing for blossoms, mixing dulled colors with pure pigments on the paper.  Seeing how she uses the blossoms to model the shoulders, arms, hips of the figures = beautiful!! 

After a night in Terre Haute, IN, we left the hotel this morning for Center Point, IN and the Exotic Feline Rescue Center to see big cats and take lots of photos.  Will have some to share when we catch our breath from the long hours on the road.  Two busy days and we're home before dinner time = now that's my kind of road trip!

8 comments:

mollie jones said...

I'm totally jealous that you've seen Carol Carter's work in person...and that size would be a killer for sure.

Vicki Greene said...

I would love to see Carol's work IRL and big cat photos too - sounds like a fun day.

Cathy Gatland said...

I envy you seeing Carol's watercolors for real and in scale - her work is fantastic. I have a sister who is a true red-head, and she does look great in those greens!

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Now, Rhonda...this one disturbs me! He looks downright evil. I know you are trying to portray emotions, though, and being disturbed is an emotion, so I guess that is okay.

RH Carpenter said...

Oh, Mollie, you wouldn't believe them - gorgeous use of colors and blossoms!!!

Vicki, it was a wonderful 2 days even with all the driving (which I don't mind when you're on good roads).

Cathy, yes, her work is wonderful and I love seeing big paintings in person.

Susan, I think red-heads are just misunderstood. He's just squinting! ha ha

Gary L. Everest said...

Rhonda,
Who is this? I wouldn't want to have to fight him over my wallet! Squinting, eh. Hm-m-m, not so sure about that, but I'll have to take your word for it.
Nice work.
Sincerely,
Gary.

RH Carpenter said...

Gary, it began as Kenneth Branaugh playing Kurt Wallender but then I changed so much (except for the slice of a mouth with almost no lips) that I had to decide he was someone else entirely with another story. Perhaps he looks so mean because people always picked on him because of his red hair?

Anonymous said...

I haven't been here in awhile. I am loving your protrait series--red hair, exotic moves, "squints" and all. Sue D