Thursday, February 5, 2009

Florida Gator Color Studies - As Is

Here are the steps I went through with the color study of the gators.















I appreciate all the comments on these as I've been working on them. I did darken some more after putting the photo under red cellophane and the painting under red cellophane and comparing - then I used the red cellophane covered photo to add more dark areas in the painting.



I think I now have more darks than I wanted, compared to the photo but again, this is just a warm-up and color study to see how I want to proceed with the poured painting to come.















5 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

So much better. That red acetate sure helps reveal what needs to be adjusted. Love the water and background areas especially. Check out how strong the lines of the mouths are or aren't. Do you see some color in the bodies of the gators? Looking forward to seeing this in person:-D

Ann Buckner said...

Rhonda, great study. Just a few lights on the gator's head facing the viewer in your COI will really make the values sing, IMHO.

Claudia said...

Very interesting trick with the red acetate! I think you did a great job on the "gator" painting!

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

Did you get in there with them to get the details right?

Nice design!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, everyone, for your comments on this. The more I look at it, the less happy I am with it - I see so much I could have done (should have done) better. Maybe I need a redo on this, too. 2009 may be my year for redoing things 2-3 times? I'll look at the mouths, Sandy, and the whites are gone, Ann :( sorry about that...
The red acetate over the photo and the painting does draw out those values without seeing the color and it helped me a bit on this one.
Bill, alligator wrestling is just something I do in my spare time - didn't you know that about me? :)