Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Wednesday, July, 2007 - Graphite Sketch from Tuesday Night Figure Session

Jason Franz, the Director of Manifest Gallery in Cincinnati (http://www.manifestgallery.org/) and the coordinator of the Figure Sessions, allowed me to sit next to him Tuesday night to watch him draw, measure, align, and work out his sketch. Then I asked him a few questions and got 3 weeks worth of drawing lessons in return! Thanks, Jason!!! So much to learn for me but I'm inspired by seeing all the art being created around me.
So first, JF said make a rectangle and fit the figure inside that rectangle. You can also mark the 1/2 way point in the figure as another guide. This is how you start so you don't end up with legs and feet off the paper because you've drawn too big - or hands gone off the sides :) I've got a small ruler I'm going to use to measure and re-measure everything and compare it to everything else (Ex: How many head lengths down from the chin is the navel? How long is the upper arm compared to the forearm and how long are they compared to the length of the head? How about the legs, upper and lower? How big are the hands compared to the head?).

Anyway, here's what I did last night: Model = Dexter who obviously works hard to get the wonderful sculpted look he has achieved.
















No comments: