Monday, March 7, 2016

THIS LITTLE PIGGIE

Did you know that Tuesday, March 1 was National Pig Day?  I didn't either.  I was watching the news (checking weather) before class and they said it was NPDay.  They had a cupcake maker making the pigs from Angry Birds.




So I figured if the students didn't bring anything to work on, we could all do little pink piggies.  I drew out the piggies on tracing paper, traced it onto a fourth sheet of Arches 140# cold press paper, and turned the photo and the paper upside down to paint it, doing the background first.  








And I softened some areas of the ginger plant - it looked too cut out and hard edged all around.  I think it works better now.  Sometimes just a little pushing back works to make a watercolor read better when you don't want everything to look pasted on.










5 comments:

Alice Jo Webb said...

I could just eat that piggie, the pink is so delicious. Very whimsical and fun.

You were right about the ginger, it's just right now.

E.M. Corsa said...

I didn't know it was National Pig Day, sorry I missed it. Your pig is positively precious!

Deborah Nolan said...

Rhonda didn't know about national pig day. This is just too cute. Cannot wait to see it finished. Hope you are having a great day.

Jennifer Rose said...

the ginger looks good :D love the colours so much, the all work so well together

people don't believe me when I say pigs are as smart if not smarter than dogs, I think its because people dont want to feel guilty eating bacon ;p

RH Carpenter said...

LOL! Thanks, Alice Jo :)

I didn't know, either, Elizabeth, until I saw it on the local news channel. Thanks!

Debbie, thanks :)

I've always heard that pigs are smart, Jennifer Rose, and the little ones are cute but I definitely pinked them up more than natural :)