Wednesday, December 3, 2014

TAKE FIVE...

I have a project I've been working on in graphite and charcoal.  It's a big undertaking - and complicated (what was I thinking).  Using Scanning Electron Microscope photos of a certain brittle star called Ophiocomella sexradiata (from research Sweetie has been doing), I'm working slowly and carefully on a full sheet of drawing paper.  I intend to do five intricate, detailed drawings (4 in graphite and charcoal and the center in color of the brittle star photographed).  





I'm not sure I'll have the determination or energy to finish it for a deadline this month, but I'm going to work on it in spite of that.  What is unusual for me:  I am enjoying the slowness and the time spent on it like little bits of meditative drawing (I can hear Deb Ward saying, "Did I just hear Rhonda say THAT???")  
What is more unusual for me:  I am not painting - no color except a touch in my sketchbook of the birds.  Going for black and white right now for some reason.  Maybe it's because of winter coming...


So...I'm going to be taking five (or more).  
I'll be away from the blog for a while but will return soon to catch up.  Even if I don't post here for a while, I'll still stop by and check on your blogs :)  See you in a few weeks...


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I like what you've done so far! Very cool!

E.M. Corsa said...

Oh my gosh! Absolutely incredible.

debwardart said...

And now, here's Deb Ward saying: "Did I just hear Rhonda say THAT???"
See you when you get back!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda - this is certainly something different for you. I think it will be wonderful when it is finished. Please have a wonderful time away. Hope to see the finished piece. Hugs

Lorraine Brown said...

a large project, enjoy your blogging break

Autumn Leaves said...

I'm not sure what I am seeing but the skill and intricacy of your hand shines through, Rhonda. Can't wait to see it when finished if that is possible!

RH Carpenter said...

Katherine, your talent and skill with colored pencil and graphite always amaze me so I'm happy you like this so far :) It does take a different mindset than loose watercolor! ha ha

Thanks, E.M. and Deb :) Deb, I knew you wouldn't believe I would even try something like this but it's working - slowly - so far...

Thanks, Debbie, Lorraine and Sherry! Sherry, this is the bits of the brittle star (not the "starfish" we think of, but a spindly critter with long thin legs, sometimes looking like it's been tattooed with colors. You mount the bits and set it up and run it with a scanning electron microscope that looks microscopically at the bits. And those bits look like the vertebrae of our own backbones - amazing! Anyway, so intricate and pretty, like pieces of bone or carved jewelry, I wanted to try to do a drawing of it with the real critter in the middle in color - with his (or her - who knows??) legs reaching out to the four graphite and charcoal drawings. That's my plan, anyway! ha ha

Carol Flatt said...

Your project sounds like a creative, unique way to detail this little creature. Can't wait to see it further along. I know what you mean by the "meditative" aspect of certain art expressions. It's relaxing, and it allows the mind to wander.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Carol :)