Saturday, June 15, 2013

BONES

One of my students brought this over to have Sweetie determine what it was:  a coyote?  a dog?  a wolf (doubtful)? a fox?  


Unfortunately, it could be a large dog or a coyote.  Hard to tell.  Dog skulls, apparently, have more of a hard slope down from the top of the skull and out the front while coyotes have more of a gentle sloping from the upper skull to the front.  This is a gentle sloping curve here but it's about 9" in length - fairly large for a coyote.  Sweetie, being a marine biologist, will have to check some books to see if he can identify it.

I think it's someone's dog (perhaps a German Shepherd), and it has a bullet wound in the skull behind the eye socket.  Probably someone out in the country was not happy with someone's dog on their land - or barking all the time.  


I want to use it for drawing practice, so set it up and lit it and will take lots of photos to use later - when the skull is returned.

So, time to get out the toned paper...


Have a great weekend!


7 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Rhonda,
I wish I could join your class. Enjoy drawing.
Best wishes, Sadami

RH Carpenter said...

Oh, Sadami, there is nothing I could teach you!! I'd just have you teach the class :) Have a great weekend, my friend.

Autumn Leaves said...

I feel so sorry for the dog! I wondered what Jerry's daytime job was. I probably should have figured it out from some of your trips, but occasionally I miss something. Duh. LOL I'll bet he has fabulous photos from which you could work, Rhonda. I'd love seeing paintings of marine life! (Hint hint!)

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Great lighting on this skull, Rhonda. I think it would make a wonderful monochrome on toned paper, too!

RH Carpenter said...

Sherry, I haven't done anything from the marine world for a while - doesn't seem to be my forte! ha ha I'll have to leave that to Sweetie - who photographs great things.

Susan, I'm trying it, slowly but surely. Finding out how much I need the drawing videos and lessons I'm doing!

Studio at the Farm said...

Rhonda, you lucky hot-dog! That is such a cool skull to use as a model for sketching!

RH Carpenter said...

Kathryn, I hope I can get a good drawing from it or from the photos of it!