Friday, June 8, 2012

HOME AGAIN

Those of you who regularly follow my blog probably realized I was leaving comments sporadically and not going to your blogs this last week.  Why?  Well, I traveled with my biologist/researcher husband and 2 former students/friends of his to San Salvador Island in the Bahamas.  To do research for them; to bake and sweat and snorkel and walk and whatever at the Gerace Research Center.  Before you get all: Oh, how lucky you are!! on me, this is a research facility - you pay $10 extra a day to have air conditioning and hope it keeps out the majority of mosquitoes and no-seeums from your room because you can keep it closed.  You hope the air keeps the room temperature down below 90F so you can sleep at night.  You are there with 165 other university students and faculty, all doing research and going out walking and caving and collecting, etc.  You stand in a line of 165 people for breakfast (7:30), lunch (12:00) and dinner (5:30) and you hope the snack bar is open at 8:00 pm so you can buy a cold soft drink.  And that you can get into the library because the 2nd day you are there, lightning from a huge storm that dumped torrential rain all over (including inside your room so standing water there you had to mop out), it takes out the WiFi for the faculty.  Because of that, you have to sign up - along with 165 others - to get 10 minutes on the internet computers (6 of them) there. 

Anyway, that's where I've been.

Photos to come later. 

And I will catch up on all the blogs this weekend :)  By then, I may have stopped itching from all the bites all over and have settled back in at home.

11 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Rhonda,
ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞTake it easy and take a rest well. ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ
Cheers, Sadami

Gary L. Everest said...

Welcome Home, Rhonda,
Wow! Can't wait to see your smiling face in the photos. What an adventure, to put it mildly.
Now, stop itching and get back to your blog.
Sincerely,
Gary.

Vicki Greene said...

Oh my, what an adventure! There truly is no place like home.

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Sounds...... itchy and that you could have gotten b_ _ _ _ _ :) You had me giggling, though! Try aloe on the bites. I hear CVS brand of aloe that you buy in the sun tan lotion section works well!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, everyone! I am glad to be home and sleeping in my own bed again. Roughing it is not my style and this was pretty rough - although we had inside toilets and and air conditioner and bug spray (which we lived in mixed with sunscreen). The heat in the Bahamas is like heating your oven to 350 degrees and then opening that door and feeling that blast of hot. I got sunburned a bit, lots of bites, and am tired from arriving home at 1 am this morning. And the monitor on the desktop died this morning - so had to buy a new one today! I'll be feeling more like myself by tomorrow, I think.

Christiane Kingsley said...

I didn't know that you were so adventuresome, Rhonda! I'm sure your will treasure part of the experience, but it probably feels really good to be home. Welcome back!

Carol Blackburn said...

Likely story, Rhonda.....LOL
Now tell us the whole truth. LOL

jgr said...

Glad you made it through your 'adventure'. Welcome back to civilization!

Autumn Leaves said...

Gotta hand it to you, that doesn't sound like fun.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Rhonda...I feel your pain! I can be outdoors with five people and I will be the only one the mosquitoes and no-see-ums go for! And, when I get bitten, the welts get huge and last for 2-3 weeks. So, I avoid being outdoors when they are at their worst and slather myself with repellent. Roughing it isn't much fun that way!

Welcome home to better conditions.

RH Carpenter said...

Pam, I was itchy and --tchy, too!!! ha ha I was not the worst for bugbites because the students had no air conditioning and were in dorms (boys on top floor, girls on bottom floor), hot, sticky, and they only got air from leaving the windows open and fans going - plus the girls wouldn't wear long pants (wanted to show off their tans!! ha ha).
I didn't think I was such a girly girl but now I think I am - give me a clean room with sheets that are changed at least every other day and not so many itchy mosquitoes and no-seeums all around me trying to feast on my poor body.

It actually feel cool in the house now from what I'm used to :)