Thursday, September 27, 2018

FEATHERS



I tried to paint a few feathers without having any feathers in front of me, either real or in a photo.  It didn't work.  Turns out, I was painting them upside down!  Why didn't I know what a feather looked like until I drew it out and then saw what I was doing wrong?  Oh, well.  Those got tossed in the bin and this one survived.  


Then I remembered, I have bluejay feathers collected from the ground around the feeders.  (I have a family of about 7-8 bluejays that visit every day.)  Took those feathers to my art room and put them on my paper, traced around them a bit and then painted while looking at them.  Much better - but a bit stiffer because not done wet-in-wet.  I will do some wet-in-wet later after practicing more feathers - and doing some in other colors.







5 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Maybe not wet-in-wet, but quite beautiful nonetheless, Rhonda!
A small series sounds wonderful.

E.M. Corsa said...

Nice Rhonda. Makes a difference when you're actually looking at them doesn't it?

Bruce Sherman said...

Good morning Rhonda...It is always such a pleasure to come aboard your creative vessel of discovery... and travel hither and yon... wherever your spirit carries us!

I love that you are willing to travel freely... not worrying about final product. You seem to be satisfied simply with the act of creative exploration.

You can't ever lose with that approach!

Good painting and warmest regards. Happy Fall!
Bruce

Jennifer Rose said...

love all the blue :) I miss bluejays and their bossy ways :p

its a good idea to do studies like these, we can learn so much from doing them :)

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Chris. I cut them apart and sent one to my cousin for her birthday. She loved it.

Thanks, Elizabeth. Yes, I'm not an imagine it and paint it type of gal - need some reference to get it right.

Thanks, Bruce. So wonderful to hear from you and see your latest post. I do believe I'm enjoying this and will learn through the process of experimenting more and more - no need to worry about the outcome because these are just for me and my growth in this style.