Wednesday, August 1, 2018

COLORFUL RETURN



After a short break and some quiet time - I also did some painting.  Back now and have some things to share.  Hope you like them.


Before painting, I did a sketch in my Strathmore sketchbook, then added color with Caran d'Ache watersoluble crayons to get me primed for the drawing and painting on watercolor paper (Arches 140# cold press).  

Here's the initial sketch and color of the Turquoise Crested Motmot (from Costa Rica).








And here's the painting, starting with the drawing on Arches 140# cold press paper (half sheet), the laying in the background using Daniel Smith Shadow Violet (one of my favorite background pigments).












5 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Welcome back, Rhonda! This IS a colorful return! Looking forward to seeing your finished masterpiece!!
Happy August.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Chris. I did a few things the month I was off blogger so there will be a few pretty birds (and maybe other things?) to share this month :). Hope you are enjoying your summer.

carolzsmiles said...

wow. that is crazy. last night I was watching a docu on pbs about Yucatan and showed these birds and their nesting habitats and I was so blown away by their stunning beauty and their tick tock tails..they said they were nicknamed the clock bird cuz their tails tick tock back and forth like a pendulum. and here they are again this morning in my inbox. what a sweet lift in my 'cra cra' work morning. :-)
(sorry for gushing on and on)

Sadami said...

Welcome back, Rhonda, but take it easy. Best wishes, Sadami

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to comment, Carol :). Synchronicity!! These upcoming painting are from photos my Sweetie took on his recent trip to Costa Rica - he must have come back with 500 photos!

Thanks, Sadami, doing okay and trying to do something positive each day, if I can :). Hope you are doing great!!