Friday, November 3, 2017

FYI - ARTIST MAGAZINES ENDING?

If you subscribe to Acrylic Artist or Watercolor Artist, read on.  If not, just ignore this.


I just found out that the Acrylic Artist magazine is over.  The very last issue was Fall 2017, which should be in your homes if you subscribed.

This makes me sad, as I learned from the magazine and enjoyed the issues.  I have one more magazine in my subscription left and will get one issue of The Artists Magazine to finish out my subscription.  

When I contacted Acrylic Artist with questions about this and got their reply, I was told to call the magazine renewal center on the postcard I received because "you signed up through a third party source".  I did not sign up through a third party source but, I bet, they sold my subscription to a third party source.  Anyway, called and the very nice gentleman said, yes, it was finished, no more magazines or digital from Acrylic Artist.  
He also said Watercolor Artist magazine was ending, too!!!  What???  I have that subscription until December 2018 and I don't want The Artists Magazine to replace that - it's not even remotely the same thing.  

I guess people no longer want magazines.  But these magazines are not just going digital, they are going belly-up.  

I will miss them both.  

If you subscribe to either (or both), you may want to check your subscription information and find out if you are getting a refund or issues of The Artists Magazine to replace them.  I'm going to be asking for a refund for Watercolor Magazine.



4 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

i think people are buying magazines like that less and less because you can usually find the info online for free so why pay for it?

Ginny Stiles said...

Thanks for the heads up. I do have a subscription to Watercolor Magazine and I'll check that out.
The only magazine I take right now is Cloth, Paper Scissors which is a multi media magazine.
And I dropped my International Artist magazine a year ago.

I am not sure what is happening with the art magazines.
There used to be a Sketching Magazine that was delightful but it only lasted two years.

There doesn't seem to be anything taking their place unless it is youtube and online art classes.
Following blogs may actually be taking the place of magazine?
I think they are getting so expensive that people would prefer easy online references.
Newspapers are losing readership too.

Barbra Joan said...

I learned a lot from magazines, books too. I used to subscribe to The Artists, Watercolor Artist, and so many more... The price of magazines are $8.99 an issue and the ones like Somerset Studio (Stampington) are now 14.99 ok so a penny under $15.00
Are you kidding? I don't get any magazines any more.. I can't afford them. Everything I know about painting, drawing, journaling, mixed media I learned from books and magazines. But no can do anymore. Sure if there wasn't the internet, I probably would still be getting one or two.

But, there is so much online, Pintrest, You-tube, blogs galore, thats where I go to keep up with the arts.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Jennifer Rose, Ginny, and Barbra Joan.
It could come down to the price of magazines now and all the info online, Jennifer Rose.
I know some of the magazines are so expensive (you're right about that, Barbra Joan).