Friday, September 1, 2017

PLAYING WITH COLOR, SHAPE AND VALUE



I worked up a colorful sketch on plain paper, using water soluble crayons.  I will look at it a while before beginning to paint.  

I already know I don't like the black lines going right through the pears and will move the lines.  I also think the tulips need to come down farther into the lower left part of the painting.  

This seems easy but, truly, there are SO MANY choices to make it's like going to the grocery and seeing 20 types of chicken noodle soup and being stuck for a choice! ha ha

And I might just put this one aside and begin something else.  Afterall, I want these setups to be more personal to me.

I just found out I am running out of 140# paper except in blocks so need to think about an art supply order :)  



😊 Happy September! 😊



8 comments:

Sadami said...

Nice work, Rhonda! Lovely colours. We're getting into spring! I want to swim more than ever. Best wishes, Sadami

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sadami. It could be a lot better, hence the playing with shapes and colors before painting. I hope I can bring these things together to make some pleasing and colorful paintings! Swimming!! We are going into autumn and days are cooler - right now, we are getting the rain from the tail end of Hurricane Harvey (supposed to rain for 2 days and be much cooler days and nights = no swimming for us!)

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda --great ideas floating about. For those of us who paint we know it is not always simple where to put certain things and how to place colors. You are certainly on your way though friend. Take care and have a great weekend. Hugs!

Chris Lally said...

Love your colorful sketch, Rhonda! It's amazing what you see when you put the painting aside for a while or put it into your photo program and have a look. You can zero in on what you want to change.

Oh, and an art supply order - like Christmas in September...

E.M. Corsa said...

We are so different sometimes. All I use are watercolor blocks!

I admire that you always challenge yourself Rhonda. Good job.

AK said...

Paint something different. Each work teaches us something new. You have already learnt your lessons from this one. But do not under estimate any work. What you find not upto the mark, may be perfect for some one else. Happy painting.

RH Carpenter said...

Debbie, I think composition is often the hardest part to get right in a painting - the flow of the eye in and around a painting without stops and with some rest areas = takes some thinking when you're doing still lifes like this! Thanks so much :)

Chris, thanks. As soon as you put a photo of the painting or sketch on the computer, it does help you see the problems! ha ha

Elizabeth, yes, we are a lot alike but seem to be less alike with our art media - which is a good thing! If we all just used one type of media, it would be a boring old world :). Have a great Labor Day Weekend and a fantastic week ahead :)

RH Carpenter said...

Yes, Asit, each piece teaches us something new and interesting that can be used later (or tossed away, if not working). Love your latest painting - such lovely color!!