Tuesday, March 3, 2015

FROM SKETCH TO PAINTING (BAD AND BETTER)



Started with this little sketch in my sketchbook.  

Saw things I wanted to change, and made those changes when I did the painting - but YUCK!  Didn't like it at all.  Had too much of a left side/right side look with texture and color so...put it aside to start over fresh.







An ugly mess.  Had green and raw sienna on the left side in horizontal lines.  Hated that.  So went over the dried color with Daniel Smith watercolor ground and then painted a bit in it while it was not fully dry, creating some interesting snow-covered (?) look.  But still too much left side/right side cut in the middle by the tree trunk = YUCK.







Beginning again - watercolor - background first and not worrying about going over the tree because it will be dark in the pale sky.  Lifting some clouds and adding a bit of color to the mail field.  And got rid of the little pond that was ugly in the first try.

Much better, but completely at odds of my original intention which was to make a cold, icy, snowy look to the painting.  Hmm...where to go to get that?





2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Love hearing you work out the process of getting your ideas on paper, Rhonda. I really don't know how you do it. My head is full of crap these days and no room for art at all. Which makes me sad.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sherry. It's hard not to feel creative at times but it will return - that pretty much ebbs and flows with me and sometimes I don't do anything.