Saturday, October 25, 2014

INTERESTING TECHNIQUE





While reading the latest Watercolor Artist magazine, I came across this artist, Kitty Burris Schachter.  

She covers her watercolor paper (hot press) with acrylic matte medium before painting watercolor on it.  I got a sheet prepared with matte medium and will see how this works.  Now to choose something to paint on it.




I have a feeling that it creates a smooth surface from which she can easily lift color (she also says she uses nonstaining colors in order to do this).

Isn't that a lovely white horse?

You can find her webpage here, if you're interested in seeing more of her work.  








This is what she says in the article.









I'll let you know when I choose something to paint on this - I guess it should have lots of whites and lights (so not a crow!).

4 comments:

laura said...

I saw that article too--love her paintings, and the way she does backgrounds.

Autumn Leaves said...

Can't wait to see what you do, Rhonda. I also loved the white horse when I saw it in the magazine article.

Diana said...

Wow that is different.. I'll look her up. Thank you Rhonda, Love,Diana

RH Carpenter said...

Laura, the technique is like the gessoed watercolor paper technique and gives you some interesting texture because the pigment and water sits on top of the paper instead of soaking into the paper.
Sherry, have begun a white horse, too.
Diana. I like the look of her work and she does love horses and it shows :)
I didn't do anything but put a light layer on the watercolor paper and let it dry - didn't smooth it down or sand it - it created a heavier paper, stiffer and with a bit of tooth.