Tuesday, September 23, 2014


I showed you the start of this full sheet painting before going off to Savannah (I'm already wanting to return in spite of getting lost every time we went outside the city).  

Anyway, here is where it was before we left.  (It's lying on the table so you're getting a warped perspective.)

And here it is to date, more greyed down.  I used Holbein Neutral Tint over some areas to tone down the blue and I guess that's cheating because it has 3 colors in it, not a pure blue.  Now I am thinking about putting orange in the middle stamen area, either in the tendril parts or the bulbous top parts of the stamens.

Just thinking, at this stage.  I am going to do use watercolor pencils to get the thin lines and parts in the middle and take my time.  

I swear, I didn't touch the background, but every time I change color somewhere, it changes the background color, too.  My camera has the hardest time distinguishing blues and violets but I get as close to what my eye sees as I can.  Funny how toning down the flower areas in the shadow parts has visually toned down the background, too.  


debwardart said...

This is AWESOME! You are excellent at painting blue flowers - keep up the great work!

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Rhonda - this is really going to be beautiful. The color blue is one of my favorites. Can't wait to see it finished. Have a lovely day.

CrimsonLeaves said...

I'm really loving the black/white aspects this now has. That flower is really beginning to pop!!

PaintedSouvenirs said...

I like a lot how it looks now. It seems to me more interesting.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Deb! Thanks so much, Debbie and Sherry :)

PS, I keep looking at it and it is saying, "Leave it" right now. But I can't figure out if that is fear of ruining it with the stamen center or laziness - or if it really is done! ha ha