Monday, August 25, 2014

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT...

Wasn't that something they used to say in the old Monty Python's Flying Circus programs? 

I have been anti-Yupo for a while, after hearing stories about it from others about problems with it.  I also removed a painting from a mat and frame and it was yellow all around the outside so it didn't retain it's white color after just 2-3 years in the frame.  It's funny, too, because when I was first introduced to this, I loved the way the watercolor flowed and dried and created interesting shapes on the plastic Yupo.  

So I decided to get out a piece I'd painted on, wipe it all down and try something on it again, just to get the feel of it.  So here's a start of a watercolor painting on Yupo.




Guess I'll take a cue from George James (the King of Yupo) and make some big changes as I go along, blurring lines, making marks, etc.  He sticks to just watercolor on the Yupo while I've found most artists around here paint liquid acrylic on first and then add watercolor after, doing some wiping back of the acrylic with alcohol or a Mr. Clean Eraser (which is what I used to wipe off the painting that was on this piece before I began a new one).  


There are many artists using Yupo for watercolor, acrylic, fluid acrylic, even oil and china markers.  So I guess anything goes if you want to try out this plastic to play on.  We'll see where this play takes my painting...

7 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Rhonda - very interesting about how it changed color. I have a couple of Yupo paintings hanging in my home - need to check that out. I like it because it can so easily be wiped out and started on all over again...clean slate so to speak. Will look forward to seeing this finished piece. Have a great day.

Sadami said...

Hi, Rhonda, Give it a go! Leap into your fuutre and the potential. Your posts always inspire us and encourage us. Thank u! Cheers, Sadami

Lorraine Brown said...

This looks like it will be an interesting piece. I have not used Yupo for some time but would like to give it another try as I have seen some wonderful works recently using it. I hope the discoloration is a one of

Autumn Leaves said...

Love that green streak in the center...!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Debbie, Sadami, Lorraine and Sherry :) I went from this to a VERY UGLY stage and will need to give it some breathing room, wipe some things away and start over, keeping the simpler image of the start in mind and not getting too fussy!! So hard to do, at times.

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

I loved Monty Python. And I'm so glad you wrote about Yupo. I've been wanting to try it.

Can you "fix" Yupo after you've painted on it?

I like the whimsical quality of this painting.

RH Carpenter said...

Carol, I think you mean can you make it so it doesn't move after it's done = yes. You spray seal it with acrylic fixative spray = easy peasy! And even then, you can go back and remove the paint and acrylic seal using a Mr. Clean eraser - that gets off anything!! If you use staining colors, you may still see a ghost image, but it usually goes back to the yupo paper easily.