Tuesday, July 15, 2014

ON A WIRE



Cheap Joe's carries something called All Media Art Board.  It is thin and hard.  Watercolor beads up on it, creating neat textures but you have to "push" the color to get it to stay and not bleed so much when working on it wet.  I would think it would work well with any drawing media I reiterated shapes with watercolor pencil to refine the lines) and acrylic or gouache, too.  I had a little piece = 7.5 x 11 inches.  

So painted a little male goldfinch on a green wire from a photo taken on my deck last spring/summer.  


The only downside to this All Media ArtBoard is that is will crack if you aren't careful in storing it (I learned that from experience).  I haven't tried to wash off the paint but imagine it wouldn't hurt to spray seal it with some acrylic spray when you've got your final image.





2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Really cool textures in the background, Rhonda. I am guessing that is due to the beading you mentioned? You got the bird on top of it beautifully!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sherry. Sweetie says the background needs to be darker and I tend to agree - can easily go back in and darken some areas. You just draw out what you want on this stuff but it doesn't take watercolor as well as paper does. The beading creates the texture and I wonder if fluid acrylic would bead up on it, too.