Saturday, November 16, 2013

STILL DRAWING + OTHER LIFE STUFF

Not much painting going on around here except for class lesson set-ups.  It's all about drawing right now.  I'm going through a lot of Newsprint and graphite!






We graduated from boxes...









to cylinders








after a good instructive talk about how to create other shapes from creating a box.  

So seems like I'll have to master that box shape, afterall!






More cylinders.  We have the objects in front of us and we draw them.  Natasha says don't draw what we see because our eyes will fool us - draw what we know about perspective and shapes.  

I ordered 2 books on perspective from Amazon.  Hope they help me with more foundational stuff and help me get the principles...

because homework is to draw a street scene with houses, a sidewalk and street, placing ourselves in a low horizon position, in a middle horizon position and in a high horizon position.  I've done one and have 2 more to go.

Still doing Pilates - had 3 sessions last week.

Sweetie and I went to our first indoor soccer match (Alaina's team played and won!) last night.  So glad they are inside and not outside (like some of the older kids are).  The poor kids outside and their poor parents, standing on the sidelines with umbrellas (yep, it was raining consistently) and cold - ugh!  Jocelyn tries out today for a team - one of only 5 girls asked to be on the team - quite an honor!  If she tries out and gets on, she gets a full scholarship for the team = uniform and equipment, etc. for free for the season.  Both of the girls are good and aggressive when dealing with girls twice their size (they are both short enough to often be the smallest ones on the team).

The days are rushing by - can you believe it's almost Thanksgiving here in the US?  Which means - Christmas lists and shopping and decorating and...


2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I will say that the lesson on perspective I got in my Penn-Foster course book was amazingly well done and I learned a lot. You will too, I know. I've always read to draw/paint what you see, not what you know (or think you know LOL)...

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sherry. I've heard that all my life in painting - but with Natasha, she says, "Draw what you KNOW, not what you think you see. Your eyes will fool you!" ha ha It basically means we need to learn the rules of perspective and use them, not trust our eyes that we are drawing something correctly. The problem with drawing or painting "what we see" is that, unless we have trained our eyes to really see - and not just paint what we think it should look like - we make mistakes.