Saturday, November 2, 2013

LEARNING TO DRAW

If you want to get better at your drawing - especially portrait drawing - then I recommend you check out Michael Britton's Art Academy site.  Here is a link to the October offerings on the eyes and the nose.  All of his monthly offerings are well worth studying and trying.  If you sign up for his newsletter, you get tons of free information you can print out and take into the studio with you.  Not tackling the whole portrait, but getting familiar with the parts, is a good way to do it without getting tense and discouraged.  Remember your negative talk inside your head can cause tension, too.  When you say, "I can't do this!"  you are probably going to be right.

I've ordered a few of Michael's downloads, too, and he is very thorough.  It's not his fault that I get to the middle and quit doing the daily work!  Seems like it's time to try again.  Every piece of information adds to the knowledge you have.  One day at a time.  
When learning anything new, it helps to be gentle with yourself.  Don't berate yourself because you're not great right away.  It will take time and effort.  I need to be kinder to myself when trying something that is new and difficult for me instead of becoming a weenie and walking away because it's "too hard".

And, with that in mind, I have just learned about a great offering in drawing in "the Russian style" locally.  The teacher, Natasha Kinnari, is a local artist who has won many of the Woman's Art Club juried shows, taking top prizes each time.  She knows her stuff.

Rather than make excuses, I am just going to sign up and do it!




6 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I so admire you constant striving to learn, Rhonda. I've always been like that myself though admit that of late, I don't have the energy to follow through. I so believe drawing is foundational to good art. It is what fails me every time.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sherry. I seem to jump in to a lot of things and inspire me - it's keeping that inspiration going with dedication and time that's my failing! I'm trying harder - I hope the drawing class pushes me to draw more and get better - and continue with it, not drop it when the class ends.

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

Thanks for the link.

RH Carpenter said...

You're welcome, Carol :) I love free stuff and he's very generous with his free lessons via his newsletter.

JANE MINTER said...

enjoy the course rhonda ... looks like you worked really hard at the portrait class .

RH Carpenter said...

Jane, I'll try to enjoy it and learn - but the first class is already giving me fits. One would think I could draw a box!!! But, apparently, I am spatially challenged.