Saturday, October 19, 2013

PART OF A POEM

A partial excerpt from 
The Magpie's Shadow


The Magpie's Shadow
by Yvor Winters


I. IN WINTER

Myself
Pale mornings, and 
   I rise. 

Still Morning
Snow air--my fingers curl.

Awakening
New snow, O pine of dawn!

Winter Echo
Thin air! My mind is gone.

The Hunter
Run! In the magpie's shadow.

No Being
I, bent. Thin nights receding. 




The Magpie's Shadow was published in 1922 as a collection of short, experimental poems. While studying at the University of Chicago, Winters was diagnosed with tuberculosis and decided to relocate to Santa Fe, New Mexico, for the sake of his health. His early poems, published in 1921 and 1922, were all written at a tuberculosis sanitarium.

1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

Love the little tidbit on the poet at the end, Rhonda.