Monday, June 24, 2013

VIEWPOINT45 JURIED SHOW

I entered 4 paintings for the 45th annual Viewpoint show.  One got in!  It was the one I was iffy about - because it was a nude.  But it got in!  You just never know.

So - this is the Viewpoint 45 national juried show.  400 entries were received (oils, pastels, acrylics, charcoal, graphite, watercolor and sculpture).  72 pieces were chosen to be in the show.  

The opening reception is
August 2 from 5 - 8 pm
at 
the Cincinnati Art Galleries
225 East Sixth Street
Cincinnati OH
Valet parking on the night of the opening.

Then the show runs from August 2 through 30.  Monday through Friday, 9 am - 4 pm daily and Saturday 10 am - 3 pm.  

I hope you get a chance to stop by and see the artwork.  I probably will not attend the opening but will sneak over to see it without all the hooplah during the week - with Sweetie :)

Here are two of the entries that DID NOT get in:



This is one (Gourds 'n Shadows) that got into the Woman's Art Club of Cincinnati juried show earlier this year - and won an award.  It didn't get in this one.








This is one (Jester's Pet) I redid after ruining the first version (in turquoise and orange - yuck!).  Carol Carter saw saw all 4 entries when she was visiting here this month, and she said this is the one she thought would definitely get in!  
Just goes to show, you never know what any one person is going to choose - or the why or where of it.  And, of course, any time you are denied entry, you never know what wasn't as good about your painting as the others that got in - or what the judge thought.  

I'll show the other one that did not get  in later, along with the painting that got in once it comes back from the framers.  It has to be done in plexiglass, not glass, even though I can hand deliver it and don't have to ship it.  

So, when it comes to juried shows, you don't know, your spouse doesn't know, 
your mother doesn't know, your friends don't know, your art buddies don't know - only the judge knows what will get into a show.  
Just paint what you want to paint, do your best, and hope for the best.  
Viewpoint is a big deal here locally and it's a big deal to get in.  This is the 4th time I've tried to get in and the 3rd time I've gotten in since I started showing my work around locally.  And I'm happy to get the positive feedback to my work.  But, again, it's just one person's opinion of the paintings I entered.  Another judge may have chosen something else or discounted all 4 of them.  Never let one person's opinion make you too happy or too sad.  

17 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Congradulations, Rhonda!!!

Sadami said...

Rhonda, congrats!! Also, your last section is sweet and true for anyone! Thank u.
Best wishes, Sadami

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Kathryn and Sadami.
On my sidebar, I have artist quotes and I've always liked this one:
"Artists shouldn't enter competitions until they are tough enough to realize it is only opinion and not a reflection on their worth. It is equally dangerous to lull yourself into thinking you are great just because you place in a show." Mary Moquin

So many times, we feel "not good enough" when we don't get in - then there is the problem of feeling "better than" when we get in and others do not. We need to keep it in perspective. Even if we get in all the regional shows, it doesn't mean our names are known by thousands of people in the art world - there are very few artists who ever achieve that place in history. I think the best thing is to keep the joy and love of the medium and let the juried shows and award money be icing on a very good cake.

Celia Blanco said...

Congratulations Rhonda and wonderful advise!

Carol Blackburn said...

Congratulations Rhonda. Lots of good advice, too. :)

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Rhonda,
I'd like to add my congratulations to those you've already received. With the six-hour time difference, it seems my comments will always be late.
It's okay though, because they're just as sincere and supportive. I'm very happy for you and we'll keep our fingers crossed in the hope that the painting will bring home a prize.
I'd say have a great day, but I know your already are!! :)
Sincerely,
Gary.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Congratulations--enjoy the icing.

Katrina said...

Congrats, Rhonda, and a great quote to remember.

Teresa Palomar Lois said...

WOOHOOO that's my girl! Congratulation Rhonda, I can't wait to see the piece that got in the show, maybe we'll see a photo once you visit the exhibition? I'll bribe J if necessary ;D

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Bravo!!Love both the other pieces, too.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Celia, Carol and Gary! I appreciate your support nd am pleased I got in :)

Thanks, Hallie, Katrina, Teresa, and Pam. Teresa - the new banner painting is one that DID NOT get in - I thought it might. So you'll have to wait to the see the one that DID get in :) ha ha Not a long wait, though. I just have to get it to the framer and back and then I'll get a photo of it.

laura said...

Congratulations! I love all your crow paintings ... it was/is such a pleasure to see the subject evolve in your art.
The gourds are great--love the composition and those elongated shadows!
And, finally, really love the new banner. I'd like to try a hydrangea close-up someday ... but I think I'll get too confused!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Excellent that you had a piece accepted. And you're right. Its really down to the juror's likes and whims so often. I'm less and less enthusiastic about juried shows these days as the curation seems so lopsided and meaningless.

Unknown said...

Congratulations and I admire you for your humbleness about this fantastic achievement, and the supportive words about keeping juried shows in perspective. You're right, it's just one guy's opinion.... but he liked YOUR work! That's so exciting! ! I will come the show!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Congratulations Rhonda, that's great news! I'm really chuffed for you :o)

Autumn Leaves said...

I just give you credit for even entering shows, Rhonda. Congratulations on being selected!!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Laura (yes, you could definitely do hydrangeas!!), Jeanette, Katherine, Lisa and Sherry, for your supportive words :)
Katherine, hope to see you at the opening - Sweetie is going to make me go (I don't care for art openings, really, because of all the hooplah and dressing up and all), but that's his birthday present: I have to go! ha ha