Thursday, May 16, 2013

STRATHMORE ONLINE WORKSHOPS - FREE

I am enrolled in another Strathmore online workshop.  These are great and they are free!  They usually last 4-6 weeks and you have a new lesson every week.  I am a bit behind - or not - since you can go at your own pace and watch the videos whenever.  


This workshop is about learning to draw on toned paper.  I bought 2 Strathmore toned sketchbooks for it and some white charcoal.  This portrait was done after watching the instructor and is a copy of his.  The only drawback I saw while watching this was he didn't show the reference photo or the model while drawing so you just copied his sketching technique until you got approximately what he got.  While he was working, I was wondering why he was drawing a garden gnome! ha ha  Turns out this is a person who dresses up and does Viking reenactments, hence the hairiness of the model.  I don't know if he used a live model or a photo reference since he never said.

Using the toned paper, you just put in your darks and the white charcoal are your lights so the toned paper is your midtones.  The next lesson is drawing a male figure and I'll share that one, too, when I get it done.

If your're interested in any online workshops - for free - just click on the link and see what's on offer this time.  They have various workshops throughout the year in all kinds of medium and styles.  If you don't like what you see this time, get on their mailing list and they'll let you know when others come up.

5 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Rhonda,
Thank u 4 sharing the precious info. Quite understandable ... garden gnome.
Kind regards, Sadami

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda - thank you so much for sharing this link. I am going to check it out. Like the fact that one can go at their own pace. Thank you too for sharing your drawing. I can understand why you thought you were drawing a gnome!! Have a wonderful day.

Autumn Leaves said...

Great job, Rhonda!

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

I just now followed your link to sign up for these workshops. This is something I may be able to handle, going at my own pace. Thank you so much for sharing!

RH Carpenter said...

I hope you can join in at your own pace and do the lessons based on the videos, Debbie and Susan. And there are always fun workshops they offer once you get on their mailing list.
Sadami, yep, he just needs his hat to be red! ha ha
Thanks, Sherry :)