Friday, January 4, 2013

DRAWING WITH YOUR BRUSH


It's not been easy for me to stop relying on a graphite drawing before putting paint to paper.  But I'm trying to become more familiar with it and create something I like.  The trick is to know that I can still overwork a piece even if I don't have a drawing on the paper first and STOP before I do that.  The joy is just putting down the brushstrokes necessary and then letting it go.  I'm not there yet, but I can feel a shift that may be taking me closer.

This little pathway was painted from a photo Christopher Leeper allowed me to use during his workshop.  I've tried the painting once but it wasn't this nice.  I think I'm getting closer.  Not quite there yet.  But still, not bad and so much better than I used to be at seeing and then moving the brush and paint.  I even left some whites in this one! 

What challenges are you going to set for yourself this year?  Aim high and be bold!  What can it hurt, right?  If you stumble, you'll catch yourself; and this time next year may see a whole new avenue opening for you!

16 comments:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Happy New Year Rhonda! I love the looseness and freedom of this one. I agree that it is so freeing to go lead-free in watercolor. It is more like playing than painting, just seeing where the paint will take you. Having said that, I have to say that the bones of this painting are very good and I like the composition a lot.

For my New Year's resolution, I am just going to try to do more than a painting a month; that is truly aiming high for me right now! I need to do this, I am losing whatever skills I had by not painting more often.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Happy New Year! I love the dappled light and the green/purple combination.

jgr said...

Rhonda, this is beautiful! Congrats on your success with this technique.

Vandy said...

These no-pencil paintings are getting better and better. I love this painting. Makes me want to have a wander down this lovely pathway.

Barb Sailor said...

Rhonda - this is so lovely...I really like the loose, juicy quality and your "whites" are perfect. This really pulls the eyes into the composition also.
Happy New Year!

Jan Yates, SCA, Canada said...

this is stunning-the light is so evocative! has a fresh and vibrant feel.

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh that bit of blue is magnificent! I can see myself on this path in real life.

Sadami said...

Happy New Year, Rhonda! Your bouncing voice is so nice!! Full of confidence, dream & hope. Go, go, Rhonda!
Best wishes, Sadami

RH Carpenter said...

Thank you so much, Susan, Lisa, Jane, and Vandy! Your comments on this one make me think I may be going in the right direction and can actually do landscapes (?!?)
Thanks, Barb, Jan and Sherry! You all keep me going forward, trying new things and being willing to share :)

Jane said...

Rhonda, do you (may you?) do a value sketch first? When I've seen demos by people who don't draw first, they have always done at least one and sometimes several value sketches first.

Happy New Year!

Studio at the Farm said...

I REALLY like this , Rhonda!!! It sounds like you and I are trying the same path. :)

RH Carpenter said...

Jane, it would probably help me to do a value sketch first - perhaps just a thumbnail sized sketch to work out the values. But I haven't done that prior to painting with these yet. Good idea.

Kathryn, thanks so much :) I don't mind pencil marks in my watercolors at all, but just thought this might slow me down and make me stop to see things better before getting too involved in moving paint around! ha ha

Barbra Joan said...

I would love to try this technique.
It sounds like something that might help me as I tend to overwork from too much drawing first.
Your painting is a joy!
BJ

RH Carpenter said...

Barbra Joan, try it and see what you think :)

renate said...

Rhonda! This is such a nice painting. You improve so fast. Beautiful done!

RH Carpenter said...

Thank you, Renate :)