Friday, August 31, 2012

ONCE IN A BLUE MOON


Tonight we see a Blue Moon, if the weather permits.  If not, we can view it from start to finish at this site.


Is it blue?  Of course not!
It just means the 2nd full moon in a month - only happens, well, once in a blue moon!  And if you miss it this year, you have to wait another 3 years before it happens again.

 
And Neil Armstrong is laid to rest today in a private ceremony.  Mr. Armstrong lived in Cincinnati, OH and taught engineering at the University of Cincinnati.  I didn't even know that until he died.  Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, blue or not.  



Tonight, take a moment to contemplate the moon.  Would you visit the moon, if you could?  Or is it enough to just view from the Earth? 

  All this talk about a blue moon made me want to go to my art room and paint something blue - so I did :)






10 comments:

carolking said...

There is no way I'm going to the moon, although I still remember my mom waking me up to watch the astronauts the first time they landed on the moon. I prefer to view it from earth. And in your paintings.

Laura said...

Lovely post Rhonda. I had to have this 'Blue Moon' event explained to me by my son yesterday. I didn't even know it was a real event, silly me. Both are lovely paintings of the moon showing beautifully two of it's many moods. Enjoy your weekend. xx

Autumn Leaves said...

Both your moons are gorgeous, Rhonda. I don't know which I like better! Not another blue moon for three years? That is interesting to know!

Caroline Simmill said...

Hi Rhonda, it is a joy to see your paintings of the moon and I am sure Neil Armstrong would just love them. I heard the news he had died late at night over here in Scotland on the evening he passed away. I remember the excitement of him walking on the moon, it was and still is such an achievement and truely fantastic. He was a special man in that he believed it was team effort that got him, Buzz and Mike up to the moon, he was humble yet achieved so much for us to feel inspired.

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Oooooo, these are lovely renditions,Rhonda! So fitting that Neil is laid to rest on a Blue Moon. Sometimes things just line up in the universe!

Sharon Whitley said...

it was so sad to hear about Neil Armstrong - I thought the message sent out by his family was beautiful
"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

Studio at the Farm said...

I still remember my father pointing out the first Sputnik to me flying overhead. And I watched all of the moon landing, and most of the take-offs of the space program. At one point, I wanted to study medicine, and then join the astronaut program. Ah ... youth. :)

RH Carpenter said...

So glad you all enjoyed the moons, blue and otherwise :) I did wake up around 5:30 this morning and looked out - saw a bright full moon (not blue), vivid and strong, creating strong shadows on the ground. Sharon, I like the idea of giving Neil a wink when you look up and see a full moon :) Thanks for sharing that.

Celeste Bergin said...

It is great to see all the postings on blogs about the blue moon...especially enjoyed yours!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Celeste. Glad you enjoyed them; I was happy to see several blue moon paintings, too.