Monday, July 23, 2012

NO TIME FOR PAINTINGS - COLOR STUDIES

Well, there won't be much time to paint this week.  Seems I have something going on each day.  But I did do a little study of some colors, thinking about the portrait in the DVD by David Lobenberg (see post from Friday for more on that).


Here is Daniel Smith Paynes Gray compared to Winsor Newton Paynes Gray - and I can see why David uses Winsor Newton for his monotone portraits!  The Daniel Smith is darker and granulates more and it just wouldn't make a very pretty portrait.  I guess that means I'll have to get a bit more Winsor Newton Paynes Gray if I'm going to do more portraits like David!











And I had been talking up the Daniel Smith Shadow Violet and how much I love it.  Someone reminded me that it's very similar to Moonglow (also by Daniel Smith).  So I tried them out, side by side, to see what the difference was. 


Looks like they both separate and granulate beautifully.  The separation causes 3 colors to show through.  The Moonglow is darker and has a redder tone and you can't get really dark dark with the Shadow Violet so I think you could use either one, depending on your mood.  And since Moonglow makes me think of night paintings, perhaps a full moon shining in just a Moonglow surround would be interesting?

Which one is your favorite?  Do you have them both or just one?  How do you use it/them in your paintings?  Inquiring minds want to know!

13 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Rhonda,
Thank you for sharing the precious info. In addition, neither of them is my using blue.
Cheers, Sadami

Debbie Nolan said...

Rhonda I like Moonglow best - it looks like it has more life to it and darker as well. Have a good week...thanks for sharing your studies.

jgr said...

I love the WN Payne's Gray. I don't have the moonglow or shadow violet but they are both lovely. I can't wait to see your portraits.

RH Carpenter said...

You're welcome, Sadami - we artists have to share the info :)

Debbie, I like them both and will probably use both - one for darker things and one for lighter - there is a difference in the "mix" of both in just 1 pigment they use.

I have to admit, I ordered from Daniel Smith today to get the 20% off sale ending today - and got a new tube of W/N Paynes Gray just for portraits. I think I should just push myself to do more this way.

Unknown said...

Great info on paints.

Vicki Greene said...

I don't have the Shadow Violet but now I want it!

Autumn Leaves said...

I don't think I have any of those colors but I sure love that moonglow!

RH Carpenter said...

Gosh, Vicki and Sherry; should I ask Daniel Smith for a commission? ha ha

Glad you enjoyed the info, Mick :)

When I was a beginner - not that long ago - I just had to have every new tube of paint Daniel Smith created. They loved me! I'm wiser now (and have more money to spend on other things - like paper and brushes and workshops! ha ha)

Sharon Whitley said...

thanks for sharing your studies with us - my winsor and newton payne's grey is one of my favourite colours in my palette - although I only have the student quality I love it - I've just done a dog portrait using just payne's grey with some indigo. I haven't got any DS paints but have heard so much about them I would love to own a few - can't really justify it at the moment though! - both the Moonglow and the shadow violet look lovely, I would probably use them both depending on the painting, look forward to seeing your portraits

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sharon. I don't follow many blogs - but do seem to be adding more blogs to my sidebar all the time! So many blogs, so little time :)

Unknown said...

That's really interesting, they are completely different colors! I can see how both would be useful, depending on the colors around them. Thanks for sharing your research!

RH Carpenter said...

Katherine, I was surprised at the Paynes Gray, too - the big difference. I see why David uses the Winsor Newton - it's just cleaner, less granulating and lifts well.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I do love the moonglow! I have it somewhere, I'll pull it out! thanks for reminding me !