Sunday, April 15, 2012

SOLITARY CROW - UNDERPAINTING

After watching a 1.5 hour downloaded program showing Michael Britton painting a figure in watercolor using a cobalt blue underpainting and lots of glazing, I decided to try this crow the way he did.  I won't use the skin colors he did, but I did start with a cerulean and cobalt blue underpainting for this crow.  We'll see how it goes as I let each layer dry and put on another layer.


This glazing technique in watercolor is not my usual mode of operation - I don't have the patience or the personality to do multiple glazes like this, especially in a large painting.  But this one is just a 1/4 sheet so I think I can do it.  Plus, I'm not really in the mood to paint right now so I can take my time with this one by glazing! ha ha

I like the mottled look I got when I let the paint dry a bit and then dropped in clean water to get backruns and blossoms.

He'll eventually get darker with and more colorful. 

I hope you have a wonderful, warm, peaceful Sunday before your work week begins again. 

10 comments:

Jan Yates, SCA, Canada said...

oh good! my favourite series -will stay tuned! interesting to see the progression

humbird said...

I like the halo, nimb above your very special crow...
Thanks for describing your work, detail per detail...
Very appreciated!

Autumn Leaves said...

Looking fabulous so far. Lack of patience is my biggest nemesis in life.

Christiane Kingsley said...

This is very interesting, Rhonda. I really like the glow around the bird. I wish you a great Sunday also.

Carol Blackburn said...

Evenin' Rhonda, you are just amazing with your crows. We went yard saleing today and found some treasures. I guess Mike and I were sort of like crows ourselves, collecting baubles.

Unknown said...

Hello again RH. I left a comment for you on my blog, but I wasn't signed in so you probably weren't notified.(kevin offline). Anyway, I really enjoy seeing you trying all these different techniques. I've said this before but(according to a poll of artists)one of the best education tools for artists is online (or CD)instructions. I really need to follow your lead and try some new things. I think this piece is going to turn out very pleasing. Personally I am partial to the mottled look.

Caroline Simmill said...

Looking forward to seeing how your painting turns out, what an interesting way of painting. I glaze with watercolours but usually only a couple of glazes to brighten up or unify a work. thanks for sharing and good to see the crow is back!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. Right now, I am sitting in my room with the balcony door open, listening to the crows calling each other - can't figure out how to get them to come closer (perhaps some crackers on the balcony railing will draw them in closer to I can get a photo??). They are around and I saw one outside an artist's studio this morning, trying to open her garbage bag and get to what was inside :)

Kevin, the download was from Artacademy.com and he has lots of good stuff!

Unknown said...

your crow is looking good so far! interested to see how it turns out. :)

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Jenny. Now that I'm back from my workshop, I'll get back to working on this one this weekend.