Tuesday, March 13, 2012

WEEK 2 HOMEWORK FOR STRATHMORE ONLINE WORKSHOP


This week, we are to paint something using lots of texture.  Cathy Johnson, our leader and teacher, painted an old barn/grain storage building.  I decided to use one of Sweetie's photographs of an interesting lock against wooden boards in the sunshine of St. Augustine, Florida.  I used my artistic license and painted the lock and metal blue with violet shadows.  I think it was just a dark grey metal, in real life.

And for some reason I feel totally drained of energy lately.  At first, I thought it was the head cold, but now I'm not so sure.  Sweetie says it's the time change but that's only an hour change so I doubt it.  I can feel a slump coming on and have to fight it off before it gets me and I don't want to do anything but sit and vegetate...I'm thinking a lack of direction is the culprit.  What do I want to paint that will energize me and get me going?  Perhaps I need to put these crows away for a while and do something else - something bright and colorful and warm and fun.  But what???  I certainly can't blame the weather for this mood - it's 75F out today and supposed to be the same tomorrow!!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the wood textures you have here. Very nice. I was also enjoying watching your latest crow painting take shape. I hear you on the slump feeling. We are still in winter here - high winds, pelting drenching rain, high 40's. Ugh. Hard to be inspired!

Carol Blackburn said...

Nicely done, Rhonda.

Unknown said...

I like the texture RH. Very nice.

Studio at the Farm said...

Hi Rhonda. I think your Sweetie is right - it's the time change with a dash of Spring fever. I find if I get outside and doing something with the lad, or walking and taking the odd photo helps. I hope you're feeling much better soon.

humbird said...

Hi Rhonda,
I like your lock and wooden texture too.
For uplifting: try to change your surrounding, move furniture, work from different point of view, do some physical activities, gym, run, walk, meet people, sit in cafe, watch people...
Hope something will work for you...or just do nothing for while...

http://carolking.wordpress.com said...

Hi Rhonda, I like your metal and wood textures. I always find those hard to represent.

BTW, I feel the same way you do. No energy, tired. Maybe something is in the air?

AK said...

A brave work, well done.

Autumn Leaves said...

Beautiful job on the wood and lock, Rhonda. I feel I am always in the kind of slump you describe. Wish I had an answer for you!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Tina. We are in the 70's here - crazy weather!!

Thanks, Carol, and Kevin :)

Kathryn, I guess you could be right (as could Sweetie!) - or maybe I just haven't gotten any successful paintings under my belt for a while...time to get serious!

Humbird, I took your advice - got some exercise and then had a DQ Blizzard (which lifted my spirits right up!) ha ha

Thanks, Carol, Asit and Sherry - of course, strange how 1 silly hour can make a difference in sleeping patterns!! I could never be a world traveler.

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Bravo for creating a piece for the workshop! I'm starting to feel guilty :)