Monday, November 14, 2011

PAINTING AT DEB'S

I had the beginnings of an idea for this full sized sheet (22" x 30") painting of crows when I went to Deb's last Thursday.  After some discussion about what I was thinking, this is what I started with.  I want the shadows of the crows to be primary colors (or very close to just pure primaries without being pure color) = one crow shadow will be the blue + red leaning to blue; one crow shadow will be the red + yellow leaning to yellow; and one crow shadow will be the red + blue leaning to red.  Just 3 primary colors of red, blue and yellow for this painting.



Primarily Crows
On Saunders Waterford full sheet (22" x 30") 140# cold press paper.



It may work.  It may not.  I'll keep going and we'll see what happens.  The crows will be "black" mixed with the 3 primary colors and nothing else.  I'm putting the shadows in first.

7 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

This is a neat idea and the colours of the shadows will work beautifully.

Carol Blackburn said...

Hmmm, looks interesting!

hw (hallie) farber said...

I think this will be great.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Jeanette, Carol and Hallie. I'll be working on it and another painting at the same time - the wet-in-wet on this Saunders Waterford paper really leaves the paper damp for a long time so it's good to have another to work on while this one dries.

Jane said...

I admire all this planning before the actually painting, it will surely be great.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Jane, I hope you are right. I always plan things out although I don't talk about the planning much. If I just go and put paint on paper, it never turns into anything but a mess! I admire those who can paint more intuitively but I'm not one of them.

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

I'm looking forward to seeing where this piece takes you. It's good to plan but I also think your intuition leads you as the piece begins to build and it talks to you.