Sunday, July 17, 2011

TAKE A LITTLE TRIP...

For some wonderful posts about an artist's journey and his/her struggles with growth, please go over and visit the blogs of Maggie Latham and Terry Miura.  I read both posts this morning and was touched by their efforts to find their "true voice" in their artwork.  Once you get past all the technique and have that under your belt, you begin your search for yourself in your paintings - how do you say what you want; how do you convey the emotions you feel into your work; how do you make a living with this crazy thing called art and still remain sane?  I bounce back and forth from learning this or that technique or type of painting (hence my recent obsession with learning landscapes although I may never paint many of them in my life), to trying to convey emotions, feelings, a bit of myself into my work.  That's a hard thing!  These two artists have struggled with it and will continue to struggle with it (it's just the way it is, folks), but what a lovely journey they share!

It doesn't make me sad that these two very fine artists have doubts, but gives me, a relative beginner, hope!  Hope in the belief that we're all in this together; we're all just humans with ups and downs and doubts about our choices.  But, again, what a journey we are on!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rhonda, You are such a sweetheart for mentioning my post. From the comments and e-mails I am receiving, I think the feelings I have expressed are universal and cross all skill levels. I’m actually going to stop blogging for a while (apart from finishing up my 100 washes on my One Hundred Washes Challenge blog), so would like to also take this opportunity to say thank you for following my journey and for your thoughtful comments. I’ll pop over and check out what you are painting from time to time, though. All good creative blessings to you. Maggie

RH Carpenter said...

Maggie, I will miss your posts! But I will still check out the 100 Washes blog and see what lovely things are there :) All the best to you in your journey - I do hope you return to your regular blog after a short break?

Autumn Leaves said...

Hmmm...I'm not sure what to say about this. I know for me, not only my rather startling lack of talent gives me away, but the subjects I choose to paint I think says the most about who I am. I've read Terry's blog and seen his work and it is just beautiful. I wish I had some answers but I'm still dealing with feeling defeated over my lack of skills.

RH Carpenter said...

Autumn, don't be defeated about your lack of skills - skills come with time and practice and you will grow and learn every time you pick up your brush or pencil :) I definitely have miles and miles to go with my own skills - perfection in watercolor is never attainable and we always want to paint like someone else who makes it look so easy! ha ha

debwardart said...

Maggie Latham made an interesting comment in her last post - that "Maggie Latham look-alike paintings are popping up". I think that in a search for "style" some artists merely pre-empt another artist's style. If you just paint what inspires you, "right" or wrong, you will eventually find your style, it just takes time - and patience!

RH Carpenter said...

You're right, Deb. And I think we all have an inherent style that comes out (if we allow it) in the way we make our brushstrokes and marks on paper so I know even when I'm copying another's work, it always looks different in the end because of how I do it :)