Friday, April 29, 2011

LIVES PAST - SKETCH


I've started something a bit somber.  Here's the sketch before I transferred it to watercolor paper to begin the painting.

For this painting, I'm trying out my new Saunders Waterford 140# cold press paper (if it's good enough for the Royal Watercolour Society, it's good enough for me).  It has a warmer color than Arches or Fabriano.

This one will be long and thin - a strong horizontal picture plane.  I've already changed my mind about the fruit (was going to have a lemon but instead pomegranates seemed appropriate).  


And a poem...

Dark Matter

by Jack Myers


I've lived my life as if I were my wife
packing for a trip—I'll need this and that
and I can't possibly do without that!
But now I'm about
what can be done without.
I just need a thin valise.
There's no place on earth
where I can't unpack in a flash
down to a final spark of consciousness.
No place where I can't enter
the joyless rapture
of almost remembering
I'll need this and I'll need that,
hoping to weigh less than silence,
lighter than light.

5 comments:

debwardart said...

I used Saunders for a while because it was less expensive than Arches. It is a soft paper - won't stand up to a lot of glazing or scrubbing. Curious to see how you like it, and good that you are trying different things, that's the best way to learn.

Tim Robinson said...

Nice drawing. I look forward to seeing this piece finished!

RH Carpenter said...

Deb, I don't do any scrubbing of color or glazing so I may be okay with this brand. I just wanted to try something different and I know it's what most of the British watercolorists use.

Tim, thanks. I've begun the painting but am slow going right now but will have something to share soon.

Jane said...

I am normally not a big poem fan, but I love this one ...and looking really forward to see what comes out of those skulls!

RH Carpenter said...

Jane, I found this poem very touching - almost like Buddhist philosophy of packing light for the journey you must take alone at the end of your life.