Friday, January 7, 2011

WHILE THE RAVENS WAIT...

While the Yellowstone Ravens painting simmers (I'm waiting for it to tell me something), I've begun another painting which needed more preparation.



First, using the photo, I took a piece of tracing paper and traced a grid (1 inch squares) and then traced the photo over that on the same piece of tracing paper.

Then I took a large sheet of tracing paper and traced a grid on it (2 inch squares so I'm enlarging the photo/sketch).

Then I used the smaller gridded sketch to draw in the objects on the larger sheet of tracing paper. 



Next, I have to put some graphite paper under the large sketch and trace the sketch onto my watercolor paper.  Then I'll be ready to paint this one.  This is more drawing prep than I usually do (I usually just draw freehand), but I thought the objects needed more attention before starting with the paint. 

I'll be trying out my new daVinci cosmo-top spin brush (a no. 8) on this one to see how it works.  The colors I bought are all refills of my standards except for Rich Green Gold, which is a new one. 

10 comments:

AK said...

Thats a lovely sketch with nice and confident strokes.

Studio at the Farm said...

Love the image's colors! It has the makings of a great painting.

Unknown said...

Good preparation for this one; can't wait to see your progess.

debwardart said...

A painting from Shaker Village?? Anticipating good things!

RH Carpenter said...

Thank you, Asit. Good to see you back :)

Kathryn, thanks so much. The photo did appeal to me but not sure I can get as dark as I want in the background (will have to strive for that). Love your latest chicken painting.

Linda, I don't usually do so much prep work but this one seemed to need it - or maybe it was just a delaying tactic?

Deb, yes, a still life from Shaker Village that's been begging to be painted for a while. I hope I can do it justice.

Christiane Kingsley said...

What a great photo! It will give you the opportunity for such nice contrasts and play of light and shadows.
Good prep work!

Celeste Bergin said...

I'll be interested in the final outcome--nice composition, it's fun to see the very beginning.

RH Carpenter said...

Christiane, my only concern is the darks - and I think I need to go in with a really dark mix of pigments and work it in sections to get that dark background.

Celeste, it's fun to plan more at times - but no guarantee of the outcome, even then :)

Caroline Simmill said...

It is going to be so interesting to see how this develops. YOu have a very dark area behind to deal with yet I believe you will master this well. The drawing is lovely you have the skill to bring this together very well. Looking forward to the next stage.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Caroline :)