Monday, November 8, 2010

STILL PLAYING WITH WATER LILIES



Well, it's not 2/3rd finished - more than that.  But I think I stopped before it was overworked (except for that closed bud that looks outlined. 




So then, with the 2/3rd rule in mind (well, not a RULE, but a pretty darned good suggestion), I did this next one...



I added a touch of Undersea Green (a Daniel Smith color) to Lunar Black (DS, also), for the majority of the water.  I prewet the whole water area and then let the color flow and used some lighter strokes like drawing lines with my brush.  I liked it and just added a touch of Prussian Blue mixed with the Lunar Black for the ligher areas.  I mixed a touch of Lunar Black with the red for the flowers, too.  Keeping everything dark but flowing was my idea and trying to finish before the painting was overdone.

I like this one - the flow, the looseness, the colors more muted.  Sometimes just playing with a scrap of paper and choosing a few colors make painting fun again.

5 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

They look good Rhonda. Really like the purple with the warm leaves.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

I prefer the top image with those beautiful colours together - so why you 'knocking' it??

RH Carpenter said...

Thank you, Prabha and Vicki :) I appreciate your comments so much.

Joan, thanks! I'm not sure why I'm knocking it - again, there is something inside me wanting to come out that isn't making it to the paper so I feel like it's not right. But no one but me knows what's wanting to come out so it looks fine, I'm sure. Perhaps needs a bit of softening in the back petals right now but then it will be done.

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

I'm with Joan. I love the colors, contrat and textures in the top piece. I do know what you mean about something trying to come out though. Keep knocking on the door :)

RH Carpenter said...

Thank you, Pam! A flower blossoming or a butterfly breaking free from its chysalis...not sure what will come forth but I know it feels like I'm in a stage of growing but not quite blooming yet - still a caterpillar striving for those wings!