Monday, November 8, 2010

STILL PLAYING WITH WATER LILIES



Well, it's not 2/3rd finished - more than that.  But I think I stopped before it was overworked (except for that closed bud that looks outlined. 




So then, with the 2/3rd rule in mind (well, not a RULE, but a pretty darned good suggestion), I did this next one...



I added a touch of Undersea Green (a Daniel Smith color) to Lunar Black (DS, also), for the majority of the water.  I prewet the whole water area and then let the color flow and used some lighter strokes like drawing lines with my brush.  I liked it and just added a touch of Prussian Blue mixed with the Lunar Black for the ligher areas.  I mixed a touch of Lunar Black with the red for the flowers, too.  Keeping everything dark but flowing was my idea and trying to finish before the painting was overdone.

I like this one - the flow, the looseness, the colors more muted.  Sometimes just playing with a scrap of paper and choosing a few colors make painting fun again.

6 comments:

Prabha N. said...

Love the flowers and the texture of water! Its sure fun!

Vicki Greene said...

They look good Rhonda. Really like the purple with the warm leaves.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

I prefer the top image with those beautiful colours together - so why you 'knocking' it??

RHCarpenter said...

Thank you, Prabha and Vicki :) I appreciate your comments so much.

Joan, thanks! I'm not sure why I'm knocking it - again, there is something inside me wanting to come out that isn't making it to the paper so I feel like it's not right. But no one but me knows what's wanting to come out so it looks fine, I'm sure. Perhaps needs a bit of softening in the back petals right now but then it will be done.

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

I'm with Joan. I love the colors, contrat and textures in the top piece. I do know what you mean about something trying to come out though. Keep knocking on the door :)

RHCarpenter said...

Thank you, Pam! A flower blossoming or a butterfly breaking free from its chysalis...not sure what will come forth but I know it feels like I'm in a stage of growing but not quite blooming yet - still a caterpillar striving for those wings!