Wednesday, June 16, 2010

OFF TO THE ZOO


We took advantage of the break in the storms to go to the Cincinnati Zoo this morning. Spent a few hours walking around and looking at the critters. I seem to have focused on the birds this time, especially the peacock who sat beside us during a pre-lunch snack break and screamed every now and then - he was gorgeous so we didn't mind his bad table manners!











I also enjoyed spending time with the flamingos. Do you think of Alice in Wonderland when you see these fantastical birds? I do! These were very pale, just a bright pink under the wing.



I'm pretty sure flamingos were bad Pilates instructors in their previous lives...just look at the positions they put their bodies in and then hooooldddd it there for a long time...









No painting today but I've begun another painting I can share tomorrow...

...based on this photo taken at Crescent Beach this past spring.


4 comments:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Is this painting based on the beach chairs on the decking or the flamingos? Either one would be great, as far as I can see! I am anxious to get back into painting again, as well as posting on my two art blogs. Geez...time flies as far as getting behind in these!

RH Carpenter said...

The painting is based on the deck chairs photo, Susan :) I do like those pale birds against the dark background, though, and may try those next. Yes, once you get behind, it's hard to catch up - I find it especially difficult to catch up to all my favorite blogs (maybe I have too many faves?)

Lisa Walsh said...

Hmmmmm...the peacocks at our zoo have been known to steal people's food right off the table. Talk about bad manners.

Love the deck chair photo, can't wait to see it in paint.

RH Carpenter said...

Lisa, perhaps they know they are so beautiful no one will mind? ha ha My cat thinks that, too, but he's wrong!!!