Monday, April 6, 2009

Kilimanjaro Paper


Tested a piece of the paper to see if it lifted okay - and it does, almost back to white. It has a nice, firm feeling to it and a good texture that would make some nice drybrush techniques here and there but also does well with wet-in-wet painting.
This is the bright white or extra white paper, and it's working out well. Cheap Joe's just had a sale on this - just over $2.00 a sheet - so I'm glad it's working out.
The reason I tried it is, a lot of artist friends say they have been having problems with the sizing in Arches and Fabriano lately. I haven't had a problem but thought I'd try out something new just in case I run in to problems later.

6 comments:

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks for sharing the info on the paper Rhonda. Good things to know. :)

RH Carpenter said...

Hope it helps, Ann. I've been working a bit more with it and it does seem pretty absorbent (that word does not look right)so may be too sponge-like if you don't paint wet-in-wet with it.

debwardart said...

Let us know how you like it for a "real" painting. Long time ago I recall people saying they had problems with it, but if they did he has probably had it adjusted.
Haven't had Fab. or Arches problems (yet) but I've probably got old paper!!!

RH Carpenter said...

My Fab and Arches is probably a couple years old, too! I don't go through whole sheets often.

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

I bought 25 sheets of Arches a few years ago, before it supposedly changed, and still have about six sheets of this stash left. It has not had sizing problems for me so I assume it was manufactured before the quality went South. I have been introducing myself to other papers for when this runs out and have not been pleased. I have a supply of Kilamanjaro from a few years back and still have problems with the absorbency aspects, and I don't think it lifts as well. I tried some Jack Richeson that was on sale two years ago at our local art supply store and was touted as being made by "the Arches people". I just finished a canyon painting on this stuff and trust me, it was not made by Arches! It is like it has no sizing at all and will not lift much at all. Sigh.

I guess I will try the KJ again and see if they have improved the sizing so it is not so absorbent, many of those who are trying it seem to like it so maybe it has been improved. I'll have to let you know....

RH Carpenter said...

Susan, I am finding the KJ is absorbent - not so much as 300# paper but more so than 140# Arches or Fabriano.