Thursday, August 28, 2008

Australian Gum Nuts - First Layers

Well, I didn't get the batik look I was going for - you really have to time it just right when you spray off the still damp layer from the dry layer underneath and I haven't been patient enough to wait long enough - yet.

I did get some nice texture in this - but the color isn't quite right. Some areas that are showing more cool blue are not that blue but more green IRL. You get the idea, though.

I think I should do another layer to get some nice darks and then I'll remove the misket today and see what I think. After that, it will be time to go in to the nuts and the red stems. I want to keep the nuts pale violet with white highlights.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

can't wait Rhonda!

Sandy Maudlin said...

Maybe since there's so uch texture in the background anyway, it'll look fine with the subtle changes you got from the first spray off. Looking forward to the finished piece.

Ann Buckner said...

Looking good Rhonda. Love the textures and patterns of the leaves and stalks

RHCarpenter said...

Thanks, Dawn, Sandy, and Ann :) I hope it's okay, Sandy - again, just can't make myself go dark but I'm working with a very limited set of fluid acrylics here at home - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.