Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday Open Figure Session Sketches

Today I went back to Saturday sessions with a live model through Manifest Gallery and their open figure sessions. It's been a while since I was able to attend regularly. It will be good to get back in the groove.

We had a new model today and she was good. I know it had to be rough sitting on that hard stool and balancing on the other - she didn't fall asleep or waver much at all. It was hard for me to draw just the shadow shapes of her face, it was tilted down and so much in shadow.



She held the pose for 20 minutes and then a 5 minute rest and another 20 minutes. I moved to get the second sketch from another angle.




7 comments:

Deb Léger said...

Wow! Fantastic Rhonda! I'm glad you're getting back to figures because you've been doing so well at them! These are great!

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Oh, my goodness! I hope she was paid enough for holding that pose, without going to sleep for so long! I now know I could not be a live model for these sessions, modesty notwithstanding, because I get fidgety after just a few moments of a held pose. Lucky you for having these models available to you. I like the details in the first sketch and the shadows the best of all; but the second ain't that bad!

Susan

Nava said...

Those are wonderful, Rhonda. Thanks to you, I also started to take a figure drawing class - you brought back the urge to do so. It's clothed figures (which I find refreshing after the many nude drawing classes I took), and it's so much fun. you can see it on my blog.

Ces Adorio said...

She sure is good to hold a pose for a long time. Congratulations on your award. I like your new avatar and your photo on the Artist Of The Year page.

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much, Deb, Susan, Nava and Ces for your comments - and for stopping by! She was a good model - you could tell by her gestures (as we warmed up) that she knew what she was doing. She had a nice slender body, too, but not too skinny. She tried the first time just sitting on one stool and that was very hard on her - so she got the second stool. I'm glad you like them. Our group this time is just 5 hardy souls - but that's about all we end up with anyway. Nava, I will definitely check out your blog and your figures :)

Sandy Maudlin said...

It's great the progress you've made in drawing. These 2 show how your expertise and practice have paid off. Beautifully done.

debwardart said...

Wow Rhonda, you are really getting good at drawing!