Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 - Roses Roses Roses?


Going back to some things that are 1/2 finished to get them done and move on without piling up too many 1/2 finished paintings! So the gators were revisited. I put some bold cerulean blue in it and I like it BUT it needs to be incorporated now into the rest of the painting - not just in the foreground. So will do that next and call it done. I'm not happy with the background and how dark that is - not sure what I can do to soften it right now but I'll try. I like this but maybe I like the idea of it more than the finished piece now? Hmmmm...something to think about. Not much more I can think to do with this one and I have the one on hotpress drawn out and ready to start after I finish up several rose paintings I have started and unfinished...and Deb's old Chevy car...


I am calling the Rose n Fence painting done now. I won't do more to it. The fence really isn't tilting - that's the way I took the photo. I like it and it shows you can save a really bad, boring, ugly background if you think about designing something there. Thanks to Sandy for suggesting the hint of fence there!


Next, I need to add collage work in the blue rose with the bruised middle :( but it can be done. Choosing some papers that might work there and thinking about oil pastels or my Inktense water soluble pencils to see if I could work on this one. It won't be pure watercolor with the collage so you can add anything that works at this stage - or just toss it! ha-ha Sometimes it's fun to just play but it also helps to have an idea before letting the 5-year-old take over! So will think about this one before fiddling with it. I can see some parts that are nice - now just to work around those without losing them in the process...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On those alligators, rather than soften the background darks, try to darken up the triangular wedge on the right hand side first. Make it the darkest closest to the edge of the paper because right now it pulls the eye off hte page there.
Nice color studies of the male nude and i REALLY like the frnced rose a lot. Very striking,
Sandy

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks, Sandy :) I'll look at that triangle on the right. I like the fenced rose, too - too bad it's not my design at all :( but I'll incorporate it again sometime maybe.
Hope you enjoyed your plein aire painting today!