Thursday, May 3, 2007

Thursday, May 3, 2007 - Spring Show + Figure Studies

Took 2 paintings to hang at the GCWS spring show: ColorBurst. It starts Sunday at the Evergreen Retirement Center on Galbraith Road. Stop by Sunday from 12-4 if you get a chance - or any time after while the show runs (from May 6 - June 3). This is an all water media show and I think you'll find something you love. I took a quick peek at what was being dropped off and there are some beauties in this show!

On my way back home, I stopped in at the Cincinnati Art Museum to see the Andrew Wyeth exhibit (the last day is Sunday for this show) again when I had more time. This collection, from a Japanese collector, is an amazing grouping of graphite sketches, pen and ink, watercolor, gouache and tempera paintings by a living master who turns 92 this year (according to a docent).
Posting the few sketches I did in the 2-hour figure study session Tuesday night organized and run by Manifest Gallery in Cincinnati. The model, Lauren, did several gesture poses for 10 minutes each (boy, was I flying, trying to get something down on paper - and this being my first experience of this I was thinking: I sure hope the poses all don't go this quickly! ha-ha Then she held a long pose for about 1 hour or more with one short break - she was a pro and had an angular look that was interesting to try to capture. This is the first time I've done this other than a 3 session class once last year and it was anxiety-producing until everything kicked in and I just let it be. I am hoping to get better - to see better - to create something more beautiful and more "right" as far as the angles and shapes truly are. I guess that's the point! I have a lot of work to do - but that's what it's all about and I'm hoping to end up with some watercolor portraits/figure studies from these sessions at some time.

Not sure if we'll have the same model next week or not but supposed to have a live model (as opposed to a "dead" model?) each week.

No comments: